My 6 year old son is driving me crazy!!!! How should I handle him?

From the time I pick him up from school til the time he falls asleep, he just won't stop!!! He gets home and he's jumping, running, kicking, flipping, yelling. It takes about 15 minutes just to get him to sit down and do his homework. When we start, he doesn't like me to tell him how to do it, if I do he looks away and tells me no he will do it his way (which is usually wrong). He starts crying. So insead of doing extra work that he really needs help with, I dnt because a feel myself getting very upset with him. I don't know what to do. When we play games if he don't win, he's mad and starts crying. He says things like I'm mean to him, I don't like him. I've try talking him, he won't talk back. I don't know what else to do. Anybody could think of something. It would really help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Jan. 9, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Put him in organized sports and it could help calm him down and enforce extra rules from an outside source.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 7:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

•  lol :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:27 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• He NEEDS to be jumping, running, kicking, flipping, yelling after school!!! Professional's will tell you they NEED at least an hour after school to blow off steam BEFORE homework!!!! Give him some play time, some unwind time after school... then homework. Thad should help.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:49 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Sound to me he is pushing you to see how much he can get away with. In everything. You need to put your foot down. Or up his ass. Make him understand you are the parent.

Answer by louise2 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Our son has ADHD and displays many of the same traits have you thought about talking to a doctor about his behavior and see if he has ADHD. To get our son to do his homework we have to let him burn off some energy and then break each piece into smaller parts and let him choose where he wants to start.
    Talk to his teacher and see if she is having any problems with him during the day and ask her how she keeps him on task she may have some techniques you can use at home.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 7:34 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• My 6yo son is the same way. It's hard for him to be still most of the day, when he gets home he really REALLY needs to burn some of it off before we get into his homework.
    Nicoles2LilRams

Answer by Nicoles2LilRams at 7:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• ...and then he needs to unwind a bit from that... give him some transition time before homework!! My kids can't run right in from playing and start homework. They need to settle in first.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 8:18 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Not sure about the ADHD but try really wearing him out with something physical after school. Get the snack and then get him moving at something, anything. Also, look at what he eats, remove sugar and see if that helps. You can offer fruit instead but sometimes diet can make all the difference. Also, talk to the teacher about what happens when it's homework time to see if you can get some pointers or maybe the counselor. GL
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:39 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Whoop his ass!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:07 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• mrsmom posted my idea. I very nearly did it to my daughter today. She'll be 6 in a few months.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:45 PM on Jan. 9, 2013