mamagram test

had my first test done, im 41 and got the call back to do more.should i be scared.no history in my family of breast cancer

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Health

• Telling you not to worry probably won't work, but, DON'T WORRY!! I had my first mam in Dec. and they called me and said I had to come back for another mam and an ultrasound cuz they found something. Scary!!!! There is no history of breast cancer in my family either but it's still scary. It turned out fine, but I did find out that women get these cysts in their boobs all the time. You cannot feel them most of the time either. You never know they are their! And since most insurance companies won't pay for an ultrasound first ( it's a much better at diagnosing by the way, figures that they won't pay.) you have the mam and then they end up calling you back and scaring you to death. It's probably nothing, I decided not to worry until I had the followup visit. AND, they can tell you right away what they see. MAKE THEM TELL YOU. Good luck.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:13 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• That happened to me but I was able to have additionals done on the spot. Still it was all very very scary. It could be a misshape of cells that's causing this and scattered or not. Remember it's good that they want more pictures - that means your radiologist is very very good and is on top of things and he sees something to question. Not every question in medicine has a bad outcome. Try to stay busy through the day into bed time. If I had kept my hands busy instead of my mind cluttered with worry I would have done better emotionally. I have atypical ductal hyperplasia. The cells in my milk ducts are not quite like the norm. Hardly every is a finding indicating possible cancer something that must be removed immediately right then. Almost always there is time of a couple to a few weeks to get a another opinion and search choices. Good for your for loving yourself to get a mammogram. Don't stop!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Feb. 13, 2009