Is it really possible?

Is it really possible to conceive naturally at 46? I know some will judge and think I'm too old; however, my SO and I REALLY REALLY want this baby together. We met each other late in life and now want a baby REALLY bad. As I said I am 46 and he is 49. The worst part is he drives a semi so he's gone all week. That only gives us Friday night-Monday morning to TTC. Is there anything naturally I can do to increase my chances of getting pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• I think it is possible. You should go to your OBGYN and ask them for tips, they will help you get pregnant. Best Wishes :)
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 10:05 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Stop thinking about "trying" when your minds relaxed, you will too. Go on a vacation, most women end up pregnant when VERY relaxed and at peace. I do think you should eat VERY healthy and start taking prenatal vitamins early as in RIGHT NOW. Cut out bad food's caffeine, etc....no smoking, just basically increase your health even with exercise too! If you are NOT premenopausal at all, you should be OK!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• It is possible. I've heard of those poor women who thought they were done having kids and headed for menopause when BAM, another one on the way. The chances of concieving do go down with age, but I think your own chances would depend greatly on YOU. Some women are more fertile than other, some men are more fertile than others and so on. The best thing you can do is to see a fertility specialist and have you and your SO checked out and see if there are any indicators that you may have a problem getting pregnant and ways they can be overcome. That way you don't spend month after agonizing month wondering. Good luck and I wish you all the best!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 10:07 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• If you're really serious about it, I'd say make an appointment with your OB/GYN ASAP for a preconception consultation. At 46 I think your chances of doing it naturally are statistically pretty low, and you don't have the luxury of waiting around too long even if you get medical help (I know you hear about the 60 year old, etc that has a baby, but that's NOT normal at all and they are using donor eggs). If you go ahead and make that first appointment with the OB/GYN now, then you'll already have a head start if natural conception doesn't work out for you. Best of luck!
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• ErinHill's right too - you might want to just skip the OB/GYN and head straight to the fertility specialist unless you need a referral from the OB/GYN.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 3:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• a lady i kno, started trying for a baby in her 40s, and she found out last week she's having triplets!
    MrsF.

Answer by MrsF. at 4:27 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Use a fertility clinic (reproductive endocrinologist), bank your hubby's sperm, and do intrauterine inseminations or go straight to IVF. Personally, I wouldn't waste a single cycle trying the old-fashioned way.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:38 PM on Feb. 13, 2009