When should my child go to the dentist?

I have a 13 month old daughter and she already has 10 teeth. I was wondering when the correct time to take her to the dentist would be. i have heard all different opions ranging from 1 year to 4 years, so i am a little confused.

kylismomma

Asked by kylismomma at 10:05 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Kids' Health

• I have been told two, but I would ask your pedi for their opinion.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:07 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Whenever you want to take her, my dentist said usually around 3 years old is when they need to start being seen.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 10:08 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Call a pedi dentist, most around 3 unless there is a problem.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• You should be cleaning her teeth alrd, when too young for tooth paste, you should use a wet cloth and just rub the teeth as best as you can to clean them off. Until then can have a pea sized amount of tooth paste.
    Anonymous

• As soon as they start getting teeth take them in. They just need to get used to it. The sooner you start the last fight you will have getting them there the next time. I've had experience in this.
    Nicole_momtobe

Answer by Nicole_momtobe at 10:37 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• As you've discovered, opinions vary. Ask your dentist when he (or she) would like that first visit.

Before that age, see if you can take her with you so she gets used to the office. When I get my teeth cleaned, my husband brings our daughter and watches her, bringing her into the exam room a couple times so she can see me sitting in the chair with someone poking in my mouth. I do the same when it's his turn.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:28 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I started taking my son at 6 months old.....it wasn't necessary but I had the insurance so why not? And he's been going every 6 months since.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 1:29 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• thanks everyone! :)
    kylismomma

Answer by kylismomma at 1:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I started taking my kids at age 2. I have heard you can start taking them when the first teeth start to erupt.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 11:02 PM on Feb. 13, 2009