just got spanked

my daughter iss 6 she is very outgoing and likes to express her self today she was out of school since we live in los angelos california and the weather is beautifull i decided to take her out to ice cream along with my dh and 2 year old daughter we get to tasty d - lites and my daughter wants a big cup of ice cream i told her she is getting a small cup because she didnt have lunch yet and she doesnt need all that sweet suff so she falls out on the floor in the store and im thinking this girl is too old to be acting like this im really pissed at this point so i pick her up off the floor sit her in the chair order my youngest daughter ice cream and then i take my daughter outside she yelling screaming and crying i told her to cut it out and she is in trouble when we get home we get home she goes to her room and slams the door my dh goes up to her room spanks her. and shes on punishment do you think i handeled this well ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in General Parenting

• Did she get ice cream? I didn't hear you say she did, which is the right thing to do. I have decided against spanking. I feel it's just teaching our kids that hitting is OK. I think taking away the thing's they love to play with for several day's and making them have " time out" if younger then 6 works wonder's..just taking to them too. Go ask her if she knows what she did to deserve her punishment..tell her you want an apology and for her to tell you she'll NEVER do that again. Then tell her you don't want to spank her, and that it upsets you to do so. I think kid's should be punished in logical way's I think it's a loss of temper to hit a child no matter what!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I think the way you handled it was perfect, especially if she didn't get the ice cream. I happen to be in favor of using spanking as a discipline method.
    MommyAddie

Answer by MommyAddie at 10:14 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I dont' have a problem with spanking at all. My children never "hit" because they thought it was ok cause they both had a few spankings in their lives. I would say the best part is if she didn't get the ice cream and you all got to eat it infront of her. But I think you did just fine mom
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:23 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• yep i would have done the same thing wait til you get out of the ice cream place to spank.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• First of all, your kid should have been in school. You can't let her stay home just because the weather is nice. Secondly, did you tell her ahead of time what size ice cream she would be allowed to get? Was she expecting a big size and you changed it at the last minute? Thirdly, why did you take them for a treat BEFORE lunch? In my opinion, you set this episode up yourself. Sorry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I think you handled it perfectly.
    Emmy_Dollface

Answer by Emmy_Dollface at 10:27 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• You handled it perfectly...I would have done the same.

I don't agree that you set this situation up yourself. She is the CHILD and you are the MOM. What she did was wrong and unacceptable at the age of 6 years old. My son would have gotten it too!!
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 10:30 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• You handled good in my opinion...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I think you handled yourself very well for being in public with an embarassing child. I have no objections to spanking when it is deserved, and this seems like a well deserved punishment especially if she didn't get the ice cream. Children love to push the limits to see what they can get away with, and we as parents need to draw the line as to what is acceptable and what is not.
    Good job momma!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:46 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Absolutely. She will think about this the next time before she throws such a fit in public or in private. A six-year old is quite capable of remembering and connecting events. And good for dad for backing you up. It is also very important that children see in their parents a united front when it comes to such matters. I think you and he did great!!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:31 AM on Feb. 13, 2009