My 5 1/2 month old isn't rolling yet?? Should I be worried

He's rolled twice from his back to his tummy, but wasn't happy to find himself on his stomach and hasn't attempted it again. I know I should give him more tummy time but he cries so hard he throws up. He's started pushing his bum up in the air when I put him on his stomach, and lifts his head, but doesn't lift his chest up with his arms, which I think he needs to do to roll over. Anyone else with this problem?? He can almost sit on his own, and loves playing the sit-up, stand-up game but no rolling................

wadesmum

Asked by wadesmum at 10:06 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son didn't roll really well until almost 6 months. The more tummy time the better. My son HATED tummy time as well (even with those play mats). I instead laid him on my chest a lot and we'd lay on the bed together and rock side to side. Another position I learned from mommy and baby yoga is putting him on your shins/knees, facing you. Just be sure to hold him under his arms. These both helped a lot. We spent a lot of time on our bed (softer and just smells like mom and dad) and I would put toys or books near him to encourage him to roll. My husband would actually push down on the mattress to make a ditch for him to roll into, and we'd go back and forth, rolling into the valleys. He thought it was fun! Eventually he just started doing it when he wanted to be somewhere.

Just give him as many opportunities to practice as possible. Double check with your ped at your 6 month check up.
    angelayang

Answer by angelayang at 10:31 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I wouldn't worry quite yet, but would mention it at his six month check up. You must give floor time in order for babies to learn to roll, crawl, etc. Do more and more tummy time everyday, he will gets used to it eventually. Presistence is the key.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 10:12 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Nah, he's fine. My kids were both tummy babies, so they did the same thing on their backs. My daughter HATED being on her back, from day one, when I would lay her down to change her diaper, she would scream, bring her knees up and roll to her side. You son will figure it all out soon enough
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:19 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Try letting him lay on your chest... instead of just on the floor. We let our dd lay on our chest several times during the day, and she loves it, she pushes up, swings her legs, and all....but the minutes we put her on the floor all hell breaks loose! Its horrible, and then she gives us these little accusing looks, haha! But if he is sitting up on his own, then I wouldn't worry too much. Some babies don't even crawl, they go straight to walking!!! Although I think 51/2 mths is a little too soon to be walking... Anyhow, I'm rambling, HTH.
    wishwish

Answer by wishwish at 10:20 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• It's normal. My dd didn't roll until after 6 months old. She was more interesting in sitting unsupported. I swear it's the only thing she did early haha. She didn't crawl until 9 months either :)

You can mention it at his check up but it really isn't anything to be concerned about.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:32 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• My son rolled over once at 5 months old and then did his best not to do it again. He didn't start rolling consistently (like to get somewhere or something) until 8 months. The doctor said it was fine at his 6 month visit and not to let anyone convince me otherwise. And he said at the 9 month visit that the thing they look for is that the baby is getting places somehow, whether by rolling, scooting, crawling, army crawling, walking, whatever. So it's nothing to worry about at all.

DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:24 PM on Feb. 13, 2009