More government corruption?

Pa. judges accused of jailing kids for cash

By MICHAEL RUBINKAM and MARYCLAIRE DALE, Associated Press Writers Michael Rubinkam And Maryclaire Dale, Associated Press Writers – 47 mins ago AP – Kurt Kruger, who spent three days in juvenile detention and another four months at a youth wilderness … WILKES-BARRE, Pa. – For years, the juvenile court system in Wilkes-Barre operated like a conveyor belt: Youngsters were brought before judges without a lawyer, given hearings that lasted only a minute or two, and then sent off to juvenile prison for months for minor offenses.

The explanation, prosecutors say, was corruption on the bench.

In one of the most shocking cases of courtroom graft on record, two Pennsylvania judges have been charged with taking millions of dollars in kickbacks to send teenagers to two privately run youth detention centers.

continued

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Please tell me they are not going to let them remain judges. Not only should they have to pay monetary but they should have criminal charges filed against them as well. If anyone else had committed such atrocities they would be under the jail. Why not these judges?

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 10:45 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• continued
    "I've never encountered, and I don't think that we will in our lifetimes, a case where literally thousands of kids' lives were just tossed aside in order for a couple of judges to make some money," said Marsha Levick, an attorney with the Philadelphia-based Juvenile Law Center, which is representing hundreds of youths sentenced in Wilkes-Barre.

Prosecutors say Luzerne County Judges Mark Ciavarella and Michael Conahan took $2.6 million in payoffs to put juvenile offenders in lockups run by PA Child Care LLC and a sister company, Western PA Child Care LLC. The judges were charged on Jan. 26 and removed from the bench by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court shortly afterward.

No company officials have been charged, but the investigation is still going on.

The high court, meanwhile, is looking into whether hundreds or even thousands of sentences should be overturned and the juveniles' records expunged.

cont
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• continued

Dem or Rep corruption? Now do you all want more government in our lives still? Trust the government?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Could you please post the link for this?

Peace, <>
    JoyceTN

Answer by JoyceTN at 10:16 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090211/ap_on_re_us/courthouse_kickbacks
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Geesh, more government corruption, you have got to be kidding me? Surprise surprise! =D I'm going to check out this link and see what the bleep is going on!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 10:32 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Well I read the article, what a travesty!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These judges should PAY restitution to everyone of these victims!! I couldn't tell though if these judges are Democrat or Republican, is that what your question was??? Anyway, I also checked out each judge, this Ciavarella judge also corruptly took custody of children away from their battered Moms and gave custody to spousal abusing Dads................When judges like this ruin from the bench they distroy innocent children's lives!!!!
    blessed5x

Answer by blessed5x at 10:38 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Not surprising. Some people with authority feel they "Have the right"..."Untouchable". And even get very offended when questioned. And they usually just get a slap on the wrist or time out. Nothing major....me or you???? We would have a selves thrown in prison before our lawyer could arrive.
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 11:57 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• well the corruption does not surprise me.. And not I never wanted the government to get more involved.. however would this not be a better question for political and current events?
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:18 PM on Feb. 13, 2009