Would you consider putting your 8 year old on anti-depressants if his psychiatrist recommended it?

DS has another appt on Friday with the Autism center we started going to last month. Tis time to see the psychiatrist mostly. We went to the center for several things. One of them being to discuss meds for his more troublesome symptoms. Mostly for his ADHD symptoms, which are interfering with his school work and possibly his anxiety. The other thing mentioned was depression. I know he is somewhat depressed but I don't know if I would call it clinical... I mean he has made threats to injure himself but he has never done so and he is always in a passion when he says it... I know his depression stems from his inability to create and maintain meaningful friendships... He feels like no one *really* likes him... I am just not sure how I feel about my 8 year old being on anti-depressant drugs... It took me this long to even consider ADHD drugs. I insisted on other options first. ::sigh:: I know, of course, no one can make this decision for me- I am just looking for feed back.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 9:26 PM on Jan. 9, 2013 in Kids' Health

• From reading the situation, yes I would. Depression is a chemical imbalance. He sounds miserable and could just need a little pharmaceutical support to feel better.
    1CopaceticMama

Answer by 1CopaceticMama at 7:37 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Ok, that helps. Like I said in my first post my son had severe issues and feeling bad etc.. We went the route of several ADHD meds that helped but not enough until we went to the patch. We saw a great improvement in him not only his grades etc.. If medication is the route, I would try ADHD medications first, It may be enough so he doesnt need anti-depressants..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• not for a 8 year old...but i don't judge you for asking...try nutritional supplements or detox...try natural before meds...and i have a 12 year old daughter with aspbergers...
    onthebrink333

Answer by onthebrink333 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• He is currently on no medication. We are working in that direction. The psychiatrist has said with more information she would consider ADHD meds, anxiety meds and anti-depressants but she still has some things to look at.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 7:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Is his ADHD controlled ?? Is he on medication for that?? Is it helping?? Try not to think of this as "drugs". The word alone has a negative association. If he needs medication for his depression it would be no different than medications for high BP, DM etc.. They are important and play a vital role in our health. Side effects is a concern but remember listed side effects are what some people experienced but that doesn't mean ALL of us will experience them. Many ,many people have no negative side effects from medications or they are mild. Finding the right dose and medication is the difficult part and that is true with any medications. You are taking the right steps and going slow will allow time to adjust.. If he took a back slide because of family issues he may need more time to adjust and get back on track. You know him best. Best wishes in the coming weeks
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• It was not her saying she was wanting to start him on all of these things at once. We have the meeting tomorrow to discuss it further and decide how we want to go about everything as well as fill out *more* questionairs ( I swear I could fill these out in my sleep now) then she will not even officially prescribe anything at all until the blood and heart work up are done so there will be another appt to talk about things after that comes back clean. This is just the closest we have ever some to even thinking about drugs but we still have a few visits before any would start. kwim?
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• This is a new center we are working with but he has been diagnosed and we have been working on things with him since he was 4.5. We have been reading recommended material, attending support groups and classes, working closely with his autism program through the school and getting him on every waiting list there is for behavioral assistance. (18 months to go) So even though the psychiatrist and center are new to us they have years worth of detailed information. His autism teacher actually recommended we start to think about drug therapies last year but totally respected me when I wanted to put it off. I felt like we were moving in a good direction at the time but he is having a severe back slide this year partially due to family circumstances.
    When we saw her last month she suggested these things as possible options based on his history and her assessment from that day. con't
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Basically, I wouldn't expect to hear a lot of "other options" or proposed responses/recommendations from the psychiatrist. My guess is I wouldn't rely solely on a psychiatrist as the only/primary expert or adviser on this matter. I realize that may be the option available through this Center--and that would be why I definitely would be considering the feedback from these consults! But I think I wouldn't assume it as the only "voice." It's just that I can't imagine that other pediatric specialists in the mental health field--various child psychologists, developmental psychologists, play therapists, social workers, family therapists, pediatric neurologists, etc.--would unanimously arrive at the same conclusions or make the same recommendation when consulted about the same symptoms & behaviors. So this awareness influences my own filter.

I just wish you the best in terms of support, information, options & feeling good about it.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Hugs!
    There is a lot I would consider (including what you mention) for my child but there are some recommendations for which I think I would have a hard time giving consent (and I think what you mention would be one.)
    In this area specifically, it would be hard for me to go with that kind of recommendation because I don't see it as the only or best option. I think it would be what I'd expect to hear from a psychiatrist (favored response to these issues/complaints), and I certainly would consider it, but I am mindful of other ways of "framing" the situation...for adults as well as children...and I know I would tap those resources. (I am saying this in the context of "if I were in that situation" and am mindful that I feel pretty resourced, so my perspective would be broad because of that. I think I naturally would view the psychiatrist's recommendations in that context.)

They first consulted w/ you guys in Dec; that's RECENT!!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 1:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• It sounds like this option has been presented after lots of testing, talking, and thought. Under those circumstances, yes, I would consider it. If he's depressed, if he's threatened to injure himself (even if in anger/hurt/whatever), that's clearly a problem. And it sounds like the doctor suggested antidepressants after looking at all the other options, which would make me feel better about it. I would still do some research on your own. Find out which one specifically he'd like to prescribe and do your own research on it before you start him on it. Make sure it's under close doctor supervision, and that you yourself keep a close eye on him as well.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:34 AM on Jan. 10, 2013