Would you consider putting your 8 year old on anti-depressants if his psychiatrist recommended it?

DS has another appt on Friday with the Autism center we started going to last month. Tis time to see the psychiatrist mostly. We went to the center for several things. One of them being to discuss meds for his more troublesome symptoms. Mostly for his ADHD symptoms, which are interfering with his school work and possibly his anxiety. The other thing mentioned was depression. I know he is somewhat depressed but I don't know if I would call it clinical... I mean he has made threats to injure himself but he has never done so and he is always in a passion when he says it... I know his depression stems from his inability to create and maintain meaningful friendships... He feels like no one *really* likes him... I am just not sure how I feel about my 8 year old being on anti-depressant drugs... It took me this long to even consider ADHD drugs. I insisted on other options first. ::sigh:: I know, of course, no one can make this decision for me- I am just looking for feed back.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 9:26 PM on Jan. 9, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I would do anything to improve his quality of life. taboo or not.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 9:32 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Yes I would. I do know a young child on antidepressants - she's had such a rough 18 months or so that she needs them. She's only 6 but they've been good for her. She's on a very low dose.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 9:37 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I personally hate being on antidepressants for myself because I've been on so many, but if it came down to my kid needing them and was under the close supervision of a doctor who specializes in pediatric psychiatric disorders, then I would be willing to at least try. It would be one thing if you were going to a family practice doctor who was just throwing drugs at you. At least you are doing your research and weighing the pros and cons.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:48 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I would do some serious research on them. I know that they are not meant for anyone under the age of 18. I also know that they risk of suicide increases when they are prescribed to younger patients. I won't tell you one way or the other, but to REALLY look into that med or any other med they want to put him on.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:55 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I would be hesitant but willing to give it a go at very LOW dosage.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 9:47 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• You are a smart women and I know you will weigh all the options and research every possible choice you guys have. Is anti-depressants Ideal for his age NO but neither is the torment he is going through. The right medication at the right dose may be what he needs. How long has he been on ADHD meds and how are they working for him? We went to daytrana patch and have a much happier child all around. Although our son does not have "close" friends, he is able to get through the day and feel better about himself etc...Talk with the pro and see what are the options in mind for age and ask all the questions you want.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I was hesitant to give my son medications. I felt "What kind of mother does that!!" I then heard Temple Grandin speak. She said she would not be as successful as she is without the assistance of medications. I made it clear to his doctor that i wanted to start small and go from there. He is still VERY autistic, but he is able to learn and be more of a part of school. I often then wanted to kick myself for not doing it sooner!!

Do what YOU feel is best for your child. But I DO understand the hesitation. The choice I made was right for me and I am just telling you my experience.

I just caution to research any drug the doctor wants to try. They do not tell you all the side effects. I learned that one the hard way.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:06 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• We have not started any drugs yet. They know we are interested in talking about options and we know that they will not be starting more than one drug at once. He also has to have a complete blood work up and ECG before they will prescribe anything.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• You know, it sounds like you're working at improving your son's quality of life, and that you have competent professionals working with you. If you come to the decision that antidepressants are needed, then why not? It would be different if you jumped right to drugs as a way to solve the underlying problems, but you haven't. Why hold back something that might work beautifully for your child? If there are side effects or the treatments don't work, you can always do something else. I've taken antidepressants for years--as an adult, but still, I know my quality of life wouldn't be as good without the drugs, so I take them and am thankful they're available to me.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• You will do what is best for him, you always do!
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2013