What would you do in this situation?

Ever been in a situation where you knew something that your friend needs to know but you don't know if you should tell them or not or when the right time to tell them is? ... confusing, let me explain and you tell me what you would do in this situation.

So, from New Year's Eve until about 3-4 days later, we had some friends of ours stay with us (Wife, Husband, and 4 year old daughter). They live pretty far out of town and his paycheck was delayed for a week due to the holidays. She was also having pregnancy issues, it being the end of her pregnancy, and he worried about her being alone so far from the hospital or anyone they know. So, we offered them a place to stay until his paycheck came in since gas was an issue for us as well (or I would have gone to her house while he worked).

Seemingly off subject for a minute: A month or two ago, my husband had a tooth pulled. They gave him 6 hydrocodone (spelling?) for pain when he left. He only ended up needing to use one of them. So, they've been in our medicine cabinet since (We haven't had a chance to dispose of them at our Sheriff's department medication dropbox, yet).

Well, the husband saw them while he was here looking for IBprofin for a headache. He then tried to get my husband to sell them to him. Of course, my husband refuses. So, it's been a few days since they've been here, almost a week now. DH noticed while looking for something in the med. cabinet tonight that the bottle didn't seem to have as much in it (5 should have been there). He looked and 2 were missing, leaving only 3. He thinks that the husband stole them.

My issue: I don't know if and when I should let my friend know 1. That he tried to buy them. 2. That 2 were missing when they left. I think she needs to know, but I don't know if she will take it as an afront. Another problem: I don't want to tell her right at the moment bc she just had her baby today! What do I do?!

Advice?

Kword

Asked by Kword at 10:13 PM on Jan. 9, 2013 in Relationships

• I wouldn't say a thing. How good of a friend is she? Also, no one saw her DH take them so he'll lie about it. Next it'll ruin your friendship and she's about to pop. Hide the bottle from this guy and leave it alone.

This is dangerous territory. Bad situation, I'm sorry. If you DO tell her, tell her in front of all of you so he cannot lie about asking to buy them. Maybe he was going to sell them for money? Who know...ah. mess.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:52 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I would not tell. If he has an issue it will eventually surface so she will see it for herself.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 11:42 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• This is one of those grey areas. I know you can sell those pills on the street, so he may have been trying to by them from you to sell them for a profit. He may never have actually taken them himself (as in ingested them). IF he did take them (and, to be fair, you don't KNOW for sure he did) then it may have only been his way of trying to provide for his growing family. I wouldn't say anything yet. I would wait it out and see how things go. If he asks to buy them again or starts showing signs of addiction, I might bring it up, but since she just had the baby, she's got enough stress in her life.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Given the new baby, I'd just let the whole thing slide. If there's a situation worth seeing, your friend will see it eventually. It wasn't right of your friend's husband to take the pills but there's no way you can prove to your friend that he did it, and they were hardly heroine. Hopefully he just took them, got a little happy fuzzy feeling, and that's the end of it.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:01 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I would stay out of it. If he has a drug problem she'll find out soon enough.
    JennieMarie1103

Answer by JennieMarie1103 at 12:07 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• That sounds like a good idea. He may very well tell your husband he was just trying to provide for his family. He may never have taken them himself. Let's hope that's how it turns out.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 2:30 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Thanks girls. I was leaning on this side, too. I just know I'd be super pissed if one of my friends knew something like this and didn't tell me? I think DH is going to ask him about it in private.
    Kword

Comment by Kword (original poster) at 12:18 AM on Jan. 10, 2013