What are your thoughts on this?

A friend of mine said this:

‎"I wish people would stop looking at religion as the problem and start looking at it as a symptom of other problems. If we think of religion as the fruition of people put in desperate situations, worried about their livelihood, feeling powerless rather than empowered, having their curiosities satisfied with mysticism instead of science, then we can do something more than complain about it, we can begin to fix the problem. If my fellow atheists and anti-theists poured half the energy they reserve for either flaming religion or pandering to cultural relativist notions in order to forgive religion into creating a better world, one without homelessness, poverty, slavery, war, disease, oppression, where things like food, water, shelter, health care, education, and energy were human rights then I promise you that if religion didn't die out it would be disarmed of much of the harm it could do. In other words, before you can rid the world of religion you have to give the religious what they've been asking for all along, salvation; Not from their own sins but from the sin of devaluing mankind to the point that they are worth only what they contribute or what they can scrounge up for themselves."

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 10:14 PM on Jan. 9, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I don't think religion, or lack thereof is the symptom of any problem. People are. People who have religion blame atheist. Atheist blame religion. I'm pretty sure that if religion didn't exist, they would find something else to blame. Religion ( or the lack thereof ) is just a convenient excuse for both sides.
    Anonymous

• "If we think of religion as the fruition of people put in desperate situations, worried about their livelihood, feeling powerless rather than empowered, having their curiosities satisfied with mysticism instead of science, then we can do something more than complain about it, we can begin to fix the problem"

the problem is thinking that all ppl who follow a religion fall under that category or that only ppl with religion fall into that category.

other than that i think she's on to something. if non-Theists spent their time making the world a better place and stopped trying to convince everyone they are right, then maybe more ppl would start seeing that morality doesnt come from religion, but rather from the person. but then some ppl are stupid and will never realize that.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:41 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• How hard is it to just be a decent person? Do good, help others, help your community as well as yourself. Compassion for starters. To me it's about being a decent human being, that's it. People are selfish and desperate so lacking in interest to work together.
    Anonymous

• I don't see why religion, or lack of religion either, has to be a probem. If it exists and you don't want to be a part of it, don't be. If you do want to be a part of it, knock yourself out. But why wish for it to die out? If religion died out, the reasons that people despise religion--wars, bloodshed, hypocrisy--would still be alive and well.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:56 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I say go for it. put all your energies into solving all those problems. I think you will still find a goodly number that still believ in their religion and possibly more so since they are having their prayers answered.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:06 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Be my guest, I do agree that if Atheist and Anti-theists devoted their energy into solving the actual problems of the world instead of blaming religion for all of them, they could make a positive change. Sadly for your friend, that won't erase religion from the map because her "theory" is completely flawed. Religion doesn't exist as a consolation for a lousy life. I could have the nearest thing to a perfect, idyllic life, it wouldn't change the fact that for me everything points out to a Creator and logic tells me that Creator is the G-d of the OT. So I would continue living my life and following my religion, and like me, many feel the same way about their religion.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:17 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• What Sharon said!

I think religion has more positive effects than negative. It's the negative that are focused on more as with anything else. If I didn't believe my Creator was real and loves me then I wouldn't bother reading His word, worshipping in His house, or anything else.
    More than salvation, I'm looking for truth.
    Human love and kindness doesn't exclude atheists or anti theists. If they believe religious folks are acting on their feelings of lacking than by all means, work with fellow men to make the world a better place.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 9:22 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I don't view religion as the problem....it's the followers of religion that are the problem.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 10:48 AM on Jan. 10, 2013