Advice on throwing a shower

My friend is pregnant with her third and last baby... I know, some people don't think you should throw a shower for a third baby, however her first was born when she was sixteen so that was hardly ideal. And after she got married and settled down she had a beautiful baby boy who died suddenly of SIDS less than one year ago. She had a check up and they found pre cancerous cells in her cervix, and she has had the disease once before and her doctor believed she is fine, but she wants to have a hysterectomy after this baby to ensure her health. Anywho, she PAID for her own showers before, and this time I am going to give her a REAL shower. I haven't done this before and I want to do something really special for her. Any ideas? They will find out the sex soon... so for now just ideas in general. Decorations can be added later! Thanks ladies!

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 10:15 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Make sure there are plenty of games to keep people busy. I did a word scramble for my sisters so you make a list of 20-25 words like crib, baby, shower, etc and scramble them up like icbr, bbya, wherso..and the first person who unscrambles them all correctly gets a lil prize. Also had a game where people brought baby pictures of themselves and everyone had to guess who was who. Just buy little gifts to pass out for your games. I'm sure you could google some other baby shower games or ideas. Also, I just had snacks for people to munch on during the time instead of making a meal. Hope this helps. Good luck on the shower and I hope your friend is doing ok.
    My_sons_Momma

Answer by My_sons_Momma at 10:29 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I think it's a great idea. Screw convention. She has been thru alot and deserves a party!!! Whenever I went to a babyshower I always enjoyed the games. Sometimes we played bingo or bunko too. One game is give everyone paper and pencil and have one word at the top that has to do with babies, say, playpen. Then give them one min. to make as many words at they can. The one with the most wins a prize. Put various things in jars, count them first and remember the amounts. like cottonballs, marbles, etc. and whoever guesses right wins a prize. You can do a unscramble the baby names game, and who ever gets done first wins a prize. Good luck and have fun.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 10:33 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Awww thats awesome of you... and i think all babies no matter 1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th, deserve a shower... it is for the baby after all :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 10:37 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• A couple of ideas:
    Put a bin full of diapers (probably size 1 to be safe) at the entry way with some sharpie markers. Have everyone write down funny or encouraging things on the diapers so that mom and dad have something to keep them going during those middle of the night diaper changes and feedings. You can even string the diapers across the room or mantle with a string and clothes pins.

Give everyone a safety pin (you can get diaper pins for drama) and have them put it on their shirt. Pick a word that no one is allowed to say...like baby or boy or girl or diaper. Whenever you catch someone saying the word, you steal their safety pin. The person with the most safety pins wins.

Bridal Shower bingo is fun too. Give everyone a blank bingo card. Have them write baby items down (blankets, bottles, etc.). Have everyone switch cards. Then play bingo while opening presents. If she gets a blanket, you mark it off, etc.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:42 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Also - a diaper cake is always festive and useful. You can go to Utube for how to videos.

ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 10:43 AM on Feb. 13, 2009