Whoa Texas! What the He!!?

Article

Last fall, the Northside Independent School District began experimenting with "locator" chips in student ID badges on two campuses, allowing administrators to track the whereabouts of 4,200 students with GPS-like precision.

Administrators say the chips make students safer and will help boost attendance records that are used to calculate badly needed state funding.

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 10:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• By the way, my daughter would lose that ID in a heart beat.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:14 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• The judge ruled she has to wear it or go to a different school. I think I would pass. These days it is all about the money.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 3:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Parents get to pay for replacement badges if by chance the original is lost.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• If it is in a badge and you can leave the badge at school then I have zero issue with it. I can see the purpose in knowing and accounting for safety. Say there is an actual fire. A portable computer that is then allowing you to know if there are any possible students left in the area of the building where the fire is could be helpful. But I would not count on it be the only way to identify where in the building someone is. Friends I am sure will give students their badge to indicate they were present when actually not. And if there is an intruder it gives an idea who may be at risk and left in a building. As long as a student can leave it in the locker, no issues. And as long as it can't track you outside the campus. I think I read they can't track beyond the radius of the radious of the campus. I actually see how in younger grades this can be helpful.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I see their point if it used ONLY while in school. But, not outside of school.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Cant' say I am surprised. Many school districts in Texas have issues with Gang and gang violence. Even on Campus. I lived in a small town in texas and still remember the second day of 7th grade watching 2 boys from rival gangs get into a fight outside the gym and one smashed the others head on the sidewalk. It went on for less than a minute before the principle and 2 teachers and a security guard were out there breaking it up and cuffing the boys but it was unforgettable.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I agree with Quinn but I can also see their point. They are legally responsible for hundreds of children.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:13 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Wow. Thats insane.
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 9:01 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Make the student feel safer? What to they have a bunch of pedophiles running amok? I thought Texans just shot them on sight...:)
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:42 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I still can't figure out why they need it. Do the teachers not take attendance? Is it a regular problem for the students to just. E roaming around on campus? They claim that the chips can only work on campus, so I am curious as to the nature of their needs for this kind of security.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:07 AM on Jan. 10, 2013