Whoa Texas! What the He!!?

Article

Last fall, the Northside Independent School District began experimenting with "locator" chips in student ID badges on two campuses, allowing administrators to track the whereabouts of 4,200 students with GPS-like precision.

Administrators say the chips make students safer and will help boost attendance records that are used to calculate badly needed state funding.

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 10:51 PM on Jan. 9, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• By the way, my daughter would lose that ID in a heart beat.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:14 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Wow, that has 'bad idea' written all over it!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:00 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• We live here in SA and we think it is crazy. I do however think that kids that have records and have been in trouble should have to wear the chips. LOL
    acrylicmom

Answer by acrylicmom at 11:16 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• If I want my child tracked I will take it upon myself. I would advise my chidl toleave said badge at school on a daily basis. None of their business after school hours
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 11:21 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Yeah that's the school district my kids go to. I can't say that I am going to be sad when we move from here this year. Luckily their schools are not doing this. Yet.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:46 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I see no problem. She is being give the option of whering a badge without the locator chip just as she has for years before this.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:58 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• I am more concerned about the chip itself
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 12:14 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I still can't figure out why they need it. Do the teachers not take attendance? Is it a regular problem for the students to just. E roaming around on campus? They claim that the chips can only work on campus, so I am curious as to the nature of their needs for this kind of security.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:07 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Make the student feel safer? What to they have a bunch of pedophiles running amok? I thought Texans just shot them on sight...:)
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 1:42 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Wow. Thats insane.
    BeautyGuru

Answer by BeautyGuru at 9:01 AM on Jan. 10, 2013