If you have an elderly relative or know one, please??

Please pass information on to them about scams, about NOT opening their doors for any reason, not giving information out, etc.... Every day I am reading more and more about the elderly becoming targets and it's, well.... it's PISSING me off.

Yesterday in a town nearby a couple knocked on an 83 year old ladies door and when she answered the door, they tied her up and robbed her.

Two months ago, my 80 year old former OB/GYN was killed in a robbery at his home.

Just, please, talk to them and make sure they understand that they too, can be a target. Thank you.

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 11:02 PM on Jan. 9, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• I discuss this every week with my elderly friend I take shopping! She's too damn trusting and sweet!
    We have a deal that she doesn't answer her phone if she doesn't recognize the number on the caller I.D. Friends and family will leave a message.
    She is forbidden from answering her door, unless we call to tell her we're coming. This she learned the hard way. A group of young boys knocked on her door and fortunately the neighbor came home and chased them off! She was very lucky and she knows it.
    I hate elderly abuse as much as I do child abuse! Nothing pisses me off more!
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:23 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Here in Texas there was a serial rapist who was targeting elderly women 60, 70, 80 year old women. He was a home health aid sometimes he broke in and sometimes he talked his way in. They finally caught him. But now there is another guy doing the same thing.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:09 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• my best riends mom was beaten and stabbed by a neighbor kid she knew over 5 dollars, she died right after she told them who did it
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 12:29 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Scary!
    Sondi7

Answer by Sondi7 at 12:21 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• My grandmother is 91 and won't even open the door for the UPS guy.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:05 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• That's really scary! I could see my Grandmom doing that who is in the early stages of alzheimers.
    JennieMarie1103

Answer by JennieMarie1103 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• We do try
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:54 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• There was a case around here a few years ago of an old lady that got punched in the face by some punk because she was the first one to answer the door. Turns out, the guy that hit her had a problem with her grandson and just decided to hit whoever opened the door. The gy that did it was caught and arrested and I know he got his punishment in jail.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 11:53 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• There's a special place in hell for assholes who target the elderly like that. At least there would be if I were in charge of hell. It's a good reminder.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:31 PM on Jan. 9, 2013

• Fortunately my uncle lives with my grandmother, so I hope he is able to prevent something like this from happening to her. My other grandma is in a nursing home on the Alzheimer's unit, so no one will bother her there. If they so somehow get to her room, she's one scary lady and will try to hit them with a chair.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 9, 2013