Why do people who do not belive in G-d care if I pray for them ?

I have had atheist ask me to not pray for them . I don't understand this. If G-d is not real then my prayers are nothing .

hadassah1582

Asked by hadassah1582 at 1:01 AM on Jan. 10, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I don't get it either, if they don't believe then it should not matter either way...like I have always said, it is meant with good intentions .....

Answer by older at 4:58 PM on Jan. 23, 2013

• "Would you be offended if I as a witch said I preformed a spell on your behalf?"

Good question. Personally, I wouldn't be offended and I would try to explain very respectfully that because of my religious beliefs I cannot accept or condone those spells, but that I appreciate the good thoughts and intentions.
    I certainly wouldn't give her the finger or mock her good thoughts by saying they do nothing for me or anything of the sort...
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:50 PM on Jan. 13, 2013

• I find it compassionate when my Christian friends pray for me. They feel helpless and need to do something. That is what their faith and beliefs say that they do in that situation. I don't want to be judged on where my life path has led me to my beliefs and I won't judge others for it either. If you feel like you need to pray for me, pray on! :)
    1CopaceticMama

Answer by 1CopaceticMama at 7:50 AM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Maybe because they usually get the "I'll pray for you" in a demeaning, holier-than-thou way, as in "you're so lost, I'll pray you find G-d" or something like that. I'd probably be pissed too if someone used something that's supposed to be selfless and positive to demean my beliefs.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Because I see it as arrogant to even consider doing it, let alone informing me of you intent to do so. By doing that, you are stating that you do not respect my wishes or my beliefs, and therefore have only your own selfish desires in mind when praying for me, you are really not considering my own well being.

Besides, in some religions it's not only rude or disrespectful to pray for someone else to a god they don't associate themselves with, it can actually be considered harmful. In other words, if they believe in another god(s), then you might just be doing more harm to them than good. It's the refusal to understand such concepts that pisses people off.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Would you be offended if I as a witch said I preformed a spell on your behalf?
    sha_lyn68

Answer by sha_lyn68 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Maybe these will help you understand:

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I don't need prayers. I work things out for myself. I deffinatly do not need salvation and honestly that's probably the only thing that I find offensive, for a person to know my beliefs and yet still tell me how they pray for god to work and change me. It's not really the prayer that's offensive it's the mentality of the person.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 6:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Probably because you are being condescending.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• To me as an atheist, it's the equivalent of saying "I'm going to do absolutely nothing for you." when someone says they are or are going to pray for me. Prayer is the other person PRETENDING to do something to help when they are, in reality, doing nothing that will help or change the situation.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2013