Why do people who do not belive in G-d care if I pray for them ?

I have had atheist ask me to not pray for them . I don't understand this. If G-d is not real then my prayers are nothing .

hadassah1582

Asked by hadassah1582 at 1:01 AM on Jan. 10, 2013 in Religious Debate

• They probably don't care if you do (how would they know if you don't tell them), but to say that to them may sound like a little slap in the face to them. I am not an Atheist, but that's just my guess.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:10 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I'e wondered the same thing. If God isn't real, then prayers would be non-threatening and pointless. Maybe they feel it isn't respecting their religion if someone prays for them. Perhaps it isn't, which is why I wouldn't go out of my way to tell a non-believer that I was praying, although what I do in private is my own deal.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:10 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I have struggled with this and the best thing I can say to you is this: if you were going to pray for someone out of the desire to do well by them, thendoesn't it stand to reason that by disrespecting thier wishes which is not wishing the well. So to me it does not matter why they have asked me not to pray for them , It is respecting their wishes.

I lile concretes so I send out invitations that I am renewing my vows. I ask that no gifts be given. I have 6 couples and all but 2 respect my wished. Which has made my life easier and better?

It is not important that I do not want a single other piece of clutter to dust.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:19 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• It's no difference if a Satanist wanted to read a Satanic verse from the Satan's Bible to you.
    How would that make you feel?

PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:31 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• depends, what prompted your offer? was it in response to some trouble they were having, such as an illness, or was it a "so their poor lost soul will see the light" church lady superior dance?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:39 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• atheism isn't a religion. and the plural is atheistS
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• And just because someone doesn't believe in or worship your god does not mean they are an atheist. I find the idea of you asking a deity to do favors for me on my behalf to be fucking rude. It's not your place to put me in obligation to any deity, let alone one that is not part of the pantheon I deal with.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:14 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• If your my friend or family and I'm going through tough times and you offer to pray for me- I know it's done in love and concern. When someone tells me they will pray for my soul simply because I'm atheist I'm going to tell you to fuck off. There is a difference between respectful prayer and obnoxious prayer that only serves the one doing the praying. And that is so you can feel superior in some way.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:32 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I'm an atheist and I personally don't care if you want to pray for me or not...whatever floats your boat and makes you feel better honestly.
    My mom prays for me all the time, or so she tells me...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:57 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I don't care if you do but you don't have to make a big deal out of it and TELL ME you are.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:06 AM on Jan. 10, 2013