Why do people who do not belive in G-d care if I pray for them ?

I have had atheist ask me to not pray for them . I don't understand this. If G-d is not real then my prayers are nothing .

hadassah1582

Asked by hadassah1582 at 1:01 AM on Jan. 10, 2013 in Religious Debate

• And just because someone doesn't believe in or worship your god does not mean they are an atheist. I find the idea of you asking a deity to do favors for me on my behalf to be fucking rude. It's not your place to put me in obligation to any deity, let alone one that is not part of the pantheon I deal with.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:14 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• depends, what prompted your offer? was it in response to some trouble they were having, such as an illness, or was it a "so their poor lost soul will see the light" church lady superior dance?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 1:39 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• The same reason why you wouldn't want someone casting spells on your behalf.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 9:03 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Probably because you are being condescending.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Because I see it as arrogant to even consider doing it, let alone informing me of you intent to do so. By doing that, you are stating that you do not respect my wishes or my beliefs, and therefore have only your own selfish desires in mind when praying for me, you are really not considering my own well being.

Besides, in some religions it's not only rude or disrespectful to pray for someone else to a god they don't associate themselves with, it can actually be considered harmful. In other words, if they believe in another god(s), then you might just be doing more harm to them than good. It's the refusal to understand such concepts that pisses people off.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• It's no difference if a Satanist wanted to read a Satanic verse from the Satan's Bible to you.
    How would that make you feel?

PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 1:31 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• If your my friend or family and I'm going through tough times and you offer to pray for me- I know it's done in love and concern. When someone tells me they will pray for my soul simply because I'm atheist I'm going to tell you to fuck off. There is a difference between respectful prayer and obnoxious prayer that only serves the one doing the praying. And that is so you can feel superior in some way.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:32 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Is it that hard for you, OP to respect someone's wishes? Pray to your heart's content, but if someone has asked you not to pray for them and you do it anyway and THEN tell them about then you're just being an asshole.
    Nos4

Answer by Nos4 at 11:08 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• To me as an atheist, it's the equivalent of saying "I'm going to do absolutely nothing for you." when someone says they are or are going to pray for me. Prayer is the other person PRETENDING to do something to help when they are, in reality, doing nothing that will help or change the situation.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Maybe these will help you understand:

MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2013