Do you hate them too?

I swear I hate all insurance companies. I know I need insurance, and I will always find a way to keep it, but come on!! I had my first mammogram in December and the doctors office called me and said I had to come back for a follow up cuz they found something. So I go back and they do like 15 xrays on my boobs and it just about kills me!! And then they do the ultrasound. Well, it all turned out fine but I did some research and it turns out that the ultrasound is much better at diagnosing than a mammogram. Especially if you have thick boobs. Like me. But insurance won't pay for the ultrasound first. Either because the ultrasound is more costly to them, or they can pay less for the mammogram. Either way you look at it, it benefits the insurance company, not me, the lady who is paying them to help keep me healthy!!! I just wanted to rant. Any other stories out there?

GMR

Asked by GMR at 10:18 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Health

• Oh honey, I could go ON and ON about insurance companies...my son had cancer as an infant, trust me, I've been through almost every freaking problem there is with the ins companies
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:21 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I agree one hundred percent. I'd so much rather have ultrasounds first to find out if a found mass is a cyst in which case the sound moves through it or a lump whereby the sound stops before the lump. Then the mammog could search out possible calcifications which ultrasounds can't do. Even the most advanced breast centers don't do ultrasounds first? I'm lucky my insurance covers both but the doctors in all of the places I've lived in, different states, won't do ultrasounds first! When WHEN is breast health going to be about the woman and not the doctor???? AHHHH!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• A couple of years ago we got a statement from our insurance company that my daughter had jaw surgery. Well that was news to us????!!! She was a minor child, I birthed her, she never lived with any one else. So I called the insurance company and the ped office cleaned out dd impacted ear wax and billed it for some bizarre reason as jaw surgery!!!!! WHAT THE *%#&@!#????!!!!!?????
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Feb. 13, 2009