How come I don't pump enough milk?

I have been breastfeeding for 3 months now. Whene I breastfeed my son gets enough milk but when I pump I barely get an ounce of milk. Is this normal, should I go see a doctor, or could it be I need a better pump?
Is there anyone that has been through what I have?

I'm very frustrated!

Ladybugcole

Asked by Ladybugcole at 10:22 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have you tried the medella? It's expensive but it's good I hear. It takes a while to get your breast milk up. Alot of women I know couldn't pump much to put in a bottle. Now I could pump 8oz out of a breast if nessesary, I could have fed a 3rd world country lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:25 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I loved the medela..I say get him to suckle more than pumping for a while if you can. The more they suckle the more you'll produce.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 10:27 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Totally had the same prob. What I tried was find a relaxing place in your house where you can be alone. It sounds silly but I would turn on the radio and just kind of sing to myself. The relaxing worked. If you have tried this then it might be the pump, I had a couple of duds before.
    Nicole_momtobe

Answer by Nicole_momtobe at 10:27 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Its normal. Pumps are not as efficient as nursing is. So it isn't a reflection of your supply :)

I have heard good things about the medela as well as the avent isis (which is manual).. Your pump may not be working right for you, especially if it's one you can get at walmart (never had luck with them)...
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:30 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I have a Medela..it wasn't brought brand new, that could be a problem to now that I think of it.
    Ladybugcole

Answer by Ladybugcole at 10:33 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Ahhh!! I'm so glad I found this site...just with the few answers I got I feel sooo much better.
    Thank Ya'll
    Ladybugcole

Answer by Ladybugcole at 10:35 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Pumping takes practice, and it doesn't work quite as easily as nursing sometimes. When I first started pumping I got hardly anything and wondered if I'd been starving my babies, but after trying several times a day for about a week I started getting quite a bit each time. The process also got faster the more I did it.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:52 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I had the same problem trying to feed my twins. I got some fenugreek capsels at Walmart and took those every day for 6 months.Make sure your drinking enough water or juice too . Also, the more you pump the better and like the other moms said , be sure to sit and relax , like after a shower. Good luck:)
    twotwinsmom

Answer by twotwinsmom at 10:58 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• no pump (not even the best expensive ones) can express what the natural sucking and motions of a baby's mouth can. so naturally, a pump won't get out as much. it's normal. just nurse on demand and try to make a back up stash. don't bother pumping if you don't need to.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 11:02 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• nursing is much more efficient at draining the breast than a pump...are you pumping after he eats? if you are hes probably eating it all....
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 11:34 AM on Feb. 13, 2009