what could this be????

I am 12 weeks along, and I have been having a very very difficult time eating. I still haven't gained any weight. I have also been expierencing horrible dizzy spells, like it feels like i'm going to pass out. To top things off I am also having shortness of breath. Is this a normal part of pregnancy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The dizziness could be a direct response to lack of nourishment. I lost 11 lbs the first trimester. I got morning sickness at around 5 weeks, and it just was awful... I would get dizzy often because of the lack of food and it just was not fun, I ended up in the hospital needing an IV to get fluids.

Try and get some nutrition, even if it's only from vitamins. I would throw up anything I swallowed, so taking vitamins wasn't very possible for me. But maybe you could keep them down?

Also if you can't manage to eat, try getting some spirulina capsules or powder. It's safe to take during pregnancy and is full of nutrition! It can help you a lot.. (powder gets mixed with juices, etc). It's a "super food". You can talk to your doctor or a nutritionist if you are worried about it's safety, but it can help!
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:43 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• I also had no appetite and dizziness, I think these are somewhat common. I'm not sure about the shortness of breath though - I would call your doctor and see what he/she says. I know later in pregnancy, one your tummy is big it can press on your ribs and stuff and make breather more difficult, but I've never heard of it happening at 12 weeks... I'm sure you'll be fine but it's probably worth a call to set your mind at ease!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 10:41 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• i had the same problems in the beginning! i am 26 weeks now and have gained 17 pounds in the last 8 weeks...so don't worrry, your weight will catch up! i started making banana and other fruit smoothies to drink, just so i was getting some nutrients in me. i ate very small portions multiple times a day...I still do but I am not barfing it up anymore. i say give it a few more weeks and you will probably be feeling better.
    kaufmt0220

Answer by kaufmt0220 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 13, 2009