Kindergartner Homework schedule?

My Kindergartner has 4 days of Homework each week that needs to be turned in on Friday. Parents have to sign after each one is done. I have decided to let her do 2 assignments every 2 days. I just feel everyday is a bit much at her age.

What do you think, and how do you deal with Homework in your home?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• When DD was in Kindergarten, she would get 3-5 pages of homework on a Friday due the next Friday. We usually just did it over the weekend and turned it in on Monday.

Now that she is in 1st grade, she has reading homework for Monday - Thursday that is done on those nights, math homework on Wednesday, and each Friday is sent home spelling words and practice reading lesson to be tested on the next Friday that is done every night.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:04 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• If I felt that it was too much I would talk to her teacher about it FIRST. I would not override the teacher's decision to give homework every day.
    winterglow

Answer by winterglow at 10:04 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• When my son was in K, he had homework every night except Friday. It was only about 15 minutes of work so he could work on it at his after school program or before/after dinner at home.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:10 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• My kinder has the same schedule and we were just informed on Monday that he will now have spelling tests on fridays. I am ok with this work schedule. My kindergartner is reading to me at night now. His homework is like draw a line to the matching pictures etc, nothing hard for himsometimes he himself wants to do all 4 assignments in one day.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 10:23 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Homework is done the day it's brought home - DS rarely has homework though. Usually just if he didn't finish a worksheet in school - and that's very rare.
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 10:32 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Every day reinforces the lessons needed. It is not just something to get done. It is the repetion that helps seat the facts / skills intothe brain. I see nothing wrong with doubling up if you have some place to go but it is also a disciplinary skill she is learning, to sit down every day and do the assigned work. I know some that wait until Thursday night and the child has had to rush to get it all done. It inevitably leads to melt downs.
    I guess i also depends on whether you want to subconsciously give her the idea that it is perfectly ok to skirt the "rules".
    Your kid your option, but you did ask.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:41 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• My Son is in Kindergarten & has homework everyday but it is due the following day. When they are absent they must make up the all homework & classwork. Anyway, here is the reason to do homework EVERY day. Each day they work on specific numbers, letters, words etc. So the daily homework reflects what is also done in class for that particular day. So it's re-learning & reinforcing what is done each specific day. Also the Teachers want homework to be done daily as practice to create good homework habits for when the child gets bigger. There are reasons why the Teachers want things done on specific days. Speak to the Teacher & she'll explain this exact thing to you.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:45 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• My Kindergartner usually only gets 3-4 days worth of homework on Fridays.. She goes to her Daddys overnights on Fridays, so we usually do her homework Sunday night.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:48 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Thank you for all the Replies, the reason I asked is because she is my only child, and I like to see how other mothers do things like homework. Since it's all pretty new to me. At the moment she is doing it every night and I wanted to see how other moms did things.

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:49 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Mine has homework, but it is simply reading her leveled book to a parent every night except Friday. My second grader has to read and do one sheet of homework every night except fridays and it is also recommended that they study their spelling or do rocket math every night also. We alternate spelling words with the rocket math.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:59 AM on Jan. 10, 2013