Thoughts on bras for 7 almost 8 year old.

She is far from starting to develop anything really, but we'll she asked for a bra like mommy when she was 2 then hasn't mentioned it until a couple weeks ago. Well a couple weeks ago she asked me if all girls wear bras? I said yes when you start to get boobs you will have to start wearing one. I a asked her why she asked that? She said because she wants a bra. She will be 8 in April. I don't remember how old I was when when I started to develop or got my first bra, but I do know I was 13-14 when I started my period. Why I said between 13-14 is cause I spotted at 13 two months before my birthday it was so light that it was only when I whipped. Do you even consider that a period? Then I skipped the next month then I started after my birthday it was heavier. Anyway, all week my daughter has been wearing her bathing suit top (it is one of those ones with the shorts and looks like tabletop) when I asked why she is wearing it she said she is wearing it for a bra lol. She wears it under her clothes even to school and to bed under her clothes. I mentioned it to daddy he was like she doesn't need a bra. I old him they have kids ones, but he still says no. My aunt says no because it might be pure pressure and if she does that she will grow'll w up to fast then want piercings and tattoos. I don't want to do it behind dhs back to let hwe have a bra. I mean I won't, but she really wants one too. I have mixed feelings about it. what are your thouguys or suggestions on the subject?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 10:33 AM on Jan. 10, 2013 in General Parenting

• If she wants one, go for it. They have little "training" bras that are for little girls who don't have anything yet but want to wear a bra. She may tire of it and decide to not wear it after all after a while. :)

Answer by Bmat at 10:38 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Wow,can you say overreaction? They have those cupless ones for the lil ones. It isn't going to hurt anything.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:40 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I don't think I would do it. If she doesn't need one, no need to rush things. I'd just tell her that you understand she wants one, but since it's not something she needs right now, you're not going to get her one.

Also, not that you should keep secrets from her father, but I'd be careful with mentioning it to him and telling her that you've talked to him. Some dads don't want to think their little girl is growing up and will insist she doesn't need a bra when she's got DDs, because he just doesn't want to admit it. And she might be really embarrassed to know that her dad knows. You might have to just tell him she's getting a bra, period, when the time comes. And you might not want to tell her that he even knows. You know them both best, though, I just thought I'd mention it as I have a friend whose husband falls under the "nope, my girl is still a baby" category of father. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:40 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Something like this would be completely appropriate.  Nothing wrong with what she wants.  My DD is the same way and I got her some of these.  The novelty has worn off.  I don't make her wear them, but they are there if she wants one.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:43 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• if you get her a sports like jersey "bra" (more like cut off undershirt really)
    maybe, just maybe her need to have one willl fade until she needs one

i do not see a big porblem
    but you continue to not let her, she might want it more

if you worry she will want more grown up things
    then set rules with time frame
    yes to bra
    but age 14 for makeup
    16 for dating
    18 and on your own for tatts
    etc
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 10:49 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• No boobs, no bra. What is the point? Next she'll want high heels in 2nd grade, c'mon. Kids don't need to get everything they ask for or about. There are more important things to focus on like school work.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:49 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• My dd is 11 now, but she started wearing a cami style bra and "bralettes" around 8 or so. She didn't really have anything at that point but she wanted it and I figured there was no harm in it so I got her some. I also wanted her to be used to wearing a bra before she really needed one (which she now does). They have some really cute ones at Justice with all kinds of prints/patterns.

Answer by missanc at 10:49 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I don't see a problem with it. They make ones for little girls without anything there to support. Just buy her a bra.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:43 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Personally if she is not developing I wouldn't buy her a bra but I might consider buying her tank top under shirts instead.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:57 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• a training bra is not a bad idea, it's not like you're going out and getting her a push up bra. Maybe she is starting to feel self conscious and a training bra may give her confidence and a positive body image.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:00 AM on Jan. 10, 2013