Alternatives to pasta?

So I know that pasta isn't that great for you. Is brown rice better? What is a good alternative to pasta?

Megan11587

Asked by Megan11587 at 10:47 AM on Jan. 10, 2013 in Diet & Fitness

• Depends on what you are eating it with. They make a quinoa past that is higher in protein. I've never tried it, but it's worth a shot if you are interested. It's also Gluten free.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:50 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• the quinoa stuff is ok. I have used it when cooking for a gluten free friend.

Barley, millet, kamut, amaranth and quinoa are some of the grains that we use instead of pasta or rice. We also use couscous, but it it just a pasta in different form. My kids LOVE barley.

Everything in moderation is fine.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:55 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Spaghetti squash. Zucchini strips in place of lasagna noodles.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:59 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Oohhh the blasphemy! When will you people understand that the only true god is made of PASTA.
    ABeaverhausen

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 11:00 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Lol @ ABeaverhausen.. My heart agrees, buy my belly pooch doesn't
    Megan11587

Comment by Megan11587 (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Whole wheat pasta, brown rice, quinoa, couscous, spaghetti squash, soba noodles, shirataki noodles sold near tofu in the produce aisle.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 11:11 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Spaghetti Squash, mashed cauliflower. If you Google them both, you can find some great recipes....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:16 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• we switched to whole wheat pasta when the Walmart generic brand started carrying it and i lost a few lbs from that alone! DH is a low carber and we've yet to find anything can replace pasta all together. mashed cauliflower can be good if done right and brown rice tastes better than white imo. ive yet to cook with quiona but i have some and i dont see why it wouldnt be good.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Brown rice has a very high glycemic index and high levels of inorganic arsenic.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 4:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• rice or bread
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 12:41 AM on Jan. 14, 2013