What purpose does religion serve? What good does it do?

For the sake of clarity, let's use any of the following to define "religion".

re·li·gion

[ri-lij-uh n] Show IPA

noun
1.
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4.
the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5.
the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 10:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I hate to say this, but with my experiences here lately I have wondered the same thing. I always do the right thing, I treat people well, and try to be the best person I can be. So it really makes me mad at all the crap that has been happening to me here lately. It makes me wonder why do I even bother at times... I guess I am just a little angry right now at how my situation is right now. Just speaking from the heart... :0/
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 11:02 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I gives me a reason to wake up each day & get through the days that I don't know if I can. I thank God every day for what I have been given & I pray for my family & friends so that they too may not see a dark day any time soon. Thank you Jesus!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:04 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Goofy, I'm sorry for whatever has been hurting you.

ILmP, would you have no reason to get up without religion?  Is that the only thing that gets you through your days?

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I guess it gives people hope that there is a purpose to life,that our lives are not meaningless

but...mostly I see it to control people and to further agendas

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:07 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Religion is a tool. Like any tool it can be used for intended purposes (such as a hammer to a nail in order to build a shelter) or abusive purposes (a hammer used as a bludgeoning instrument to harm others). Unfortunately what we see with Religion is often abusive purposes (dictating how others should live, tax evasion, religious wars, excuses to be assholes) than intended purpose (a guide for one's own PERSONAL life in order to STRIVE to live better through compassion and care).

Like any tool it's all in how you use it!

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• If I didn't have the feeling that the Holy Spirit was with me & watching out for me & my family every day then I can't tell you if I could or not. I am no Holy Roller but I am old enough to have seen both good & very bad days & I can tell you that when I pray, I feel better & good things happen. Maybe not the way I wished for it to happen but in a better way. That's why now when I am having a problem & I need support from the Holy Spirit I say that I will leave it in God's hands & the outcome is always positive. I have dabbled in the dark & no good came of it. Looking back it was the worst point in my life. Like I said, knowledge comes with experience & age. I do believe in miracles & have experienced one first hand.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:12 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I wonder why anyone would find his or her life meaningless without religion. 

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• It does no good. All it does is spreads hate and controls how people think and act.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• it's a money making business . it's all about power and control over the gullible masses of people.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 10, 2013

• At first the purpose it served was to explain phenomenon that were "unexplainable" at the time. Of course now that we are more advanced, all it seems to do is to stop intellectual & scientific progress.

I understand that religion is needed by many as a crutch of sorts, it gives them hope & a reason to keep going. But, by the same token, so much damage & destruction has been done "in the name of God". And, anyone who can logically analyze human nature and global relations can tell you, that there will never even be a chance at world peace unless there is no more religious strife, which can only occur if there are no more religions. So, it seems religion currently does more harm than good.

3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:14 AM on Jan. 10, 2013