What purpose does religion serve? What good does it do?

For the sake of clarity, let's use any of the following to define "religion".

re·li·gion

[ri-lij-uh n] Show IPA

noun
1.
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4.
the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5.
the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 10:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2013 in Religious Debate

• If a man pulled you from a burning building, saved your life, but in the process gave his own life, what would be your response? Unless you are very different from the majority of peope, there would be at least some bit of gratitude to that man for having spared your life. Multiply that by as many digits as you can imagine, and you have but a small measure of what Jesus Christ did for me and for "whosoever" will accept His sacrifice. I don't like to even think of it as a "religion" because that's not what it is. It is about gratitude, honor, and whorship for One who was willing to die on a cross for a sinner such as I. It's about believing in One who is wiser than I, stronger than I, and more powerful than I. Everyone trusts in someone. For most people, the someone is themselves. For me, it is the God of the universe who allowed His only begotten Son Jesus Christ to die for a sinner like me. Purpose? Good? You decide.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• What evidence do you have that Jesus even existed NannyB, furthermore to say it is akin to the man in the burning building saving you does not address if you were never in a burning building to begin with or that you got out on your own. Or that the fire was "set" by the man's father, or that the man's father locked you in a burning building......or well there's several other variables here that you simply choose to ignore in order to be comforted by the idea of a savior.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• For some, religion reminds them to look outside themselves to do for others. It depends on the religion and the person and it is personal. Some simply like belonging. I look at most charitable organizations, soup kitchens, shelters, outreach programs, a lot are organized and run and contributed to by Christians specifically. I'm not saying non believers aren't generous or non Christians aren't generous, just stating an observation. That was Christ's commandment, "If you love me, feed my sheep" and all that that implies.

For me, my search for truth leads me to Christ. A religion is full of do and don'ts. A relationship is a mutual thing that benefits both parties. I don't feel limited in Christ, just the opposite. God is love and without love there is nothing meaningful.
    HHx5

Answer by HHx5 at 1:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• On a global scale.....religion does nothing. It is a moot point.
    On an individual basis-it's not religion but spirituality that I think brings about the positive aspects of religion.
    Some people need the idea of a god or something greater than themselves to be a good person I guess.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 2:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• do you mean religion in the organized faith, church going, doctrine/dogma way or the "belief in something higher than yourself" way?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:16 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• All it does it give people who lack faith and trust in themselves something to cling to.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Tradition and ties to one's ancestors...provided you have the same religion they do, and not the one of the people who slaughtered them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• It centers me and gives me clarity, strength and purpose. I understand others get this some place other than religion and thats fine by me because I am me and decide how and why I believe and do the things I do-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Sorry, ok.  I meant to offer a definition for clarity.  I'm editing the original post with a definition.  Thanks for asking.

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• i think some may use as a comfort

and holding a blankie past a certain age is frowned upon

life has scary moments, and comfort of some higher being may help some people

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2013