What purpose does religion serve? What good does it do?

For the sake of clarity, let's use any of the following to define "religion".

re·li·gion

[ri-lij-uh n] Show IPA

noun
1.
a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
2.
a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
3.
the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
4.
the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
5.
the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 10:58 AM on Jan. 10, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I believe there are different pathways to God. For me, it is my FAITH in Jesus that gives me hope and joy!
    Mermaid65

Answer by Mermaid65 at 1:18 PM on Apr. 3, 2013

• well religion makes us better people by seeking out the good in us and others, it can help us in many aspects of our life.
    lawla

Answer by lawla at 10:27 AM on Feb. 19, 2013

• "I wonder why anyone would find his or her life meaningless without religion"

I wonder how anyone could have any hope at all without knowing there is life after death with Jesus in a much better place than here. I'm not a depressed person by any means either, it's just that this world is filled with such pain, sickness, suffering and evil. I am so thankful there is a reason for living beyond what is here. I'm so thankful that what we suffer now is just a blink of the eye in the scope of eternity.....a peaceful eternity.
    deedee3849

Answer by deedee3849 at 5:48 PM on Feb. 1, 2013

• My religion gives me hope. It gives me a sense of peace during tumultuous times. It steadies me and makes me strong. It gives me joy....
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:12 AM on Jan. 28, 2013

• ^^^^^^agree
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 15, 2013

• I think that's very personal. For me, it gives me a clear set of instructions on how to live a good, positive, meaningful and purposeful life.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• I always liked Linus. He was the smartest one of the Peanuts group.  

Anonymous

• History shows in a time where it was needed to explain things, hold people to a moral code, bring a country together and control it. I'm sure it was a source of hope and maybe even a necessity to get through things in a time where science couldn't explain why things happened such as plague, famines, and natural disasters.

Now and days I'm not sure it's needed other than an emotional need or remembrance of our heritage. I think we see as we evolve religions die off.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 8:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• All it does it give people who lack faith and trust in themselves something to cling to.

Answer by IhartU

^^ like a blankie
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• i think some may use as a comfort

and holding a blankie past a certain age is frowned upon

life has scary moments, and comfort of some higher being may help some people

fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 6:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2013