What are some good ways to soothe a child?

I know that may seem like a stupid question but there's more to it. What are some good ways to soothe a child when you have taken away his pacifier?

We have taken away my 1yr old's pacifier and he cries and cries like we are killing him, I know that he'll eventually get over it and forget about the pacifier but I would like to make the transition easier for him rather than what we're doing now. We took it away, cold turkey. He really only used it for sleep so it wasn't that big of a part of his life but still, DH and I would like to sleep AND I would like to make him feel better about not having it. Is it possible? Thanks

Megan

ElijahsMom211

Asked by ElijahsMom211 at 10:40 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Substitute something else. We bought our son a "dream pillow". It was a lavendar filled little embroidered pillow. He is 14 now and still has it. He just likes the smell of it.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 10:50 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• where did you buy the dream pillow? i also need to take my daughters binky away and am scared of what is to come lol
    brooklynjean07

Answer by brooklynjean07 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Try a lovey of some kind. A special pillow, blankie, stuffed animal, whatever. Be aware that it may not work. Whatever you give him won't fill the physical role that the binky played - he can't suck on it. Some kids just have a much higher need to suck for soothing than others. You have to evaluate your child, not stick with some hard and fast "take it away the day they turn 1" rule. If the lovey doesn't work, you need a backup plan.
    How long will you give the new lovey a try?
    What then? Continuted screaming or giving back the binkies?
    If you go with screamng, for how many more days or weeks?
    Write out your plan, with dates, and stick to it.
    And no, giving them back does not make you a failure. It means you are working WITH your child, instead of forcing him to do something he isn't ready to do.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2009