Is happiness a choice?

Sometimes I think so. Sometimes I think it is a very, very hard choice.

Asked by booklover545 at 1:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2013 in Just for Fun

• The mind can make of heaven, hell, & of a hell a heaven. There will always be stress, & pain, but I think the mind can circumvent circumstances 94% of the time.

Answer by KA91 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Circumstances aren't often a choice, but how we look at them definitely is. As a person who has fought depression for years, I've learned that changing my outlook is definitely a conscious, sometimes minute-by-minute choice.

Answer by Ballad at 2:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Yes it is

Answer by older at 2:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I think it is at least for the most part.
    You choose how you will veiw the events of your life, big and small.
    When people would go on about how tragic the house fire was and it was, I tipically would say something like I had been meaning to declutter anyway. Next time I will try for a less drastic approach.

I changed my favorite color from lime green to burnt orange.

Answer by Dardenella at 2:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• no...unless you like lying to yourself. just because you say to yourself "im gonna be happy" doesnt mean you are. you cant choose to be happy at a funeral of someone you were close to, you can put a smile on your face and fake it, but you're not happy. you can choose to see the bright-side, you can choose to stay positive, but you cant keep yourself from feeling your true emotions...unless you like lying to yourself.

Answer by okmanders at 2:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I think you can have a positive out look of things that make it easy to be happy but I don't think is just that. So I would say is big part of it but not all.

Answer by Alisim at 6:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• For the most part, yeah.

Answer by mommy_jules at 1:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Yes.

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Yet another tough "?". I don't know too many people that would "choose" to be unhappy. However, I would think given all the problems in life that we face on a daily basis, that it would be truly difficult to put a positive spin on everything, and just accept everything that comes your way. Honestly I guess it all depends on the definition of happiness, which is prob. different for everyone and the actual person themselves. And how willing the person is to try to overlook the bad, and truly focus on the good things in life.

Answer by HappyEndings at 1:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Yes. It's all about reaction. Sometimes my reactor starts to implode and then I have to take a glass of wine to see the situation in a different light.

Answer by ABeaverhausen at 2:22 PM on Jan. 10, 2013