Would you care for your sick or elderly parents?

I would. I did. This one woman I know said no way in hell. Of course I have no idea what her relationship was like with her parents so she may well be justified in her decision.

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 1:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Of course I would. My Mom took care of me when I was growing up .. & I'd take care of her if she needed it..♥
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:53 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I won't be,no
    my mom did some terrible things to me,and put me in grave danger in my teens. I've already told her that when she needs to be cared for,it won't be by me.
    People who don't know my story think I'm a heartless bitch. When they hear what i went through,their minds change in a heartbeat

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• depending on HOW sick they were I would try to at least... my last surviving grandmother has alzheimers/dementia and doesn't know anyone most of the time, she has been in a nursing home for about 8+years now and it has just gotten worse, she is in her late 70s I think... before that she was a healthy strong independent woman and never needed her kids to really care for her :( I hope that my parents, who are doing a LOT to take care of themselves btw, can continue to be healthy and independent well into their 70s :) (both are in their early-mid 50s now)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 1:57 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I did both of my parents right up to the day they passed away. It was the most difficult thing I have ever done, but I wouldn't trade it for anything.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I would if it were at all possible. I learn by example, and the example I most recently saw was how my Mom's side of the family did whatever it took to make sure my 99 year old grandfather (healthy mostly) was happily able to live at home until he died. They coordinated companionship, care, dr's visits, food shopping and cooking and cleaning among themselves so that the work load didn't rest on one person.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 2:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I would do whatever I could financially, or otherwise from a distance, to see that my parents were cared for if they needed it. It wouldn't be good for any of us if I got closer than that.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I offered. My father was dead before my 21st birthday. My mother as she became old and sick was at a point of some one needing to be with her all the time. I offered though she and I have never seen eye to eye. I do not know if anyone else offered tough frankly, I doubt it. My mother is quite stuborn, or was. She wanted to stay in her own home and not go to assisted living or with me.
    We found a house next door to my brother and a service with people that would stay with her 48 hours at a time. They had their own rooms and it is not like she couldn't do anything for herself at all. Just enough that she had to have someone with her.
    It was expensive but it was her money.
    We have offered more times than not to DH's dad but frankly he is in better health than all of us. He just got married so I rather doubt that he is going to take us up on it any time soon.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I would do whatever I could...I'm setting examples for my child, y'know?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• yes i would, but then i have great parents who deserve it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Yes and I did as much as I my Dad let me.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 2:57 PM on Jan. 10, 2013