Productive members of society?

Having just answered the appalling question about terminating a pregnancy if a child is found to be physically or mentally challenged, I'm curious what it means to be a productive member of society.

Is it being born perfect? Having an education? A job? Paying taxes? Making the world better in some other way? Breathing oxygen? What makes someone a burden versus productive?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 1:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Give me a minute.
    I will go ask my upstairs, physically/ mentally competent neighbor.
    Oh! That's right. I can't his roommates kicked his pot smoking, liquor swilling, coke snorting ass out.

But hey, at least he's not deformed
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 1:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I don't think that physical or mental limitations make you a burden, or a non- productive member of society. In some cases of severe disability, just being born, and getting through each day, in my opinion is productive enough. If you have no disabilities, or responsibilities and you are just being lazy, and doing nothing, then you're not exactly being productive, in my opinion. I've seen people w/ severe disabilities accomplish more, then some of your everyday average joes... just saying...
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 2:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• i think it depends on each persons abilities.

i know a "normal" guy my age that does nothing all day but sit in his room at his moms house & play video games.
    i also know a girl my age with Down Syndrome that clears tables part time at McDonalds and "sews" beautiful rugs & place mats in her group home.

who is the productive member of society?
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Apparently never needing help from anyone or the government. I think that category has a pretty small population,wouldn't you say?
    I'm still reeling from that question.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:53 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• "You said she sews in quotes. What did you mean?"

its the loops off of socks and they weave & tie them into rugs & other things. its amazing how beautiful the rugs turn out from just discarded sock tops. i didnt want to give the impression that she uses a sewing machine or does intricate needlepoint or something like that.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• My 15 yo will never be able to take care of himself without any financial assistance from anyone, but I don't consider him a burden in any way. He is a delight, a complete delight. He is easy to please and so grateful for every little thing.
    But he's not financially productive either nor will he ever be. However, he makes those around him slow down and realize how much they have to be thankful for.

Answer by missanc at 2:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I am simply not even going to give any definitions because there isn't one all inclusive definition.

Okmanders I am curious about the young woman with Down's. You said she sews in quotes. What did you mean?

I have an autistic nephew who has worked at the video store and now works for a casino in the food area. He seems to have the respect of his coworkers.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:22 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Productive? Able to take care of yourself without any financial assistance from anyone in a way that contributes back to society.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 2:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Not all issues are the same. Not all genetic abnormalities are the same. DS is different than a terminal illness where your child will not live past six months at the most (on average and no living person above one ever lived with the rare disorder), the child would have painful seizures each and every day, has deformed feet and hands, and appears to suffer despite best efforts. Feeding tubes and C PAP required always. That is one such desease I encoutered. The parents new prior to birth. Yes, I would exercise my right to terminate that pregnancy. There is no hope or miricle of a cure, there is zero chance the test was wrong after extensive exact testing and finding the rare chromosomes. Making informed choices is important. Someone may parent a DS child but not willing to deliberately follow through with a known terminal painful disorder. Big difference.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 3:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2013