Have you had an MRI with contrast?

SO is having one now. Trying to figure out his epilepsy, has an EEG tomorrow.

I should have gone with. He is prone to seizures with shots, i thought the contrast was a drink but reading now its a shot.

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2013 in Health

• No I have not, but my friend thinks I should. I have had headaches for over a year with no relief from th epills I was given. My friend had the same type of headache for a year and she got an MRI, showed nothing, had an MRI with contrast and it showed a brain tumor, so naturally I am freaked out about it now.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 1:59 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Its not really a shot but administered through an IV. Some contrast is a "drink" but for the head it is IV contrast.. Hope all goes well for him. Try not to worry, you have your hands full too. The staff should be able to handle a seizure if he has one.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• The hospital is the best place for him to have a seizure. I just know he's scared and has no idea about the iv.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Understandable, those that work in that area place tons of IVs for this, they are really good at it so hopefully it will go very smooth. When my DH had to have surgery he was terrified of the IV but didn't even feel it, he was shocked when she was done.. He was all worked up over nothing really... Men tickle me, they are so terrified of lab draws and IV's. Imagine if they had to give birth LOL.. Just trying to lighten your mood :)
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Yes tons of times. Unlike, the contrast with a CT scan, which makes you feel like you just pissed yourself, you don't feel anything. I'm not sure if it would effect someone with seizures though. He's terrified of needles, huh?
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Hope everything goes well, too.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:54 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Yeah. He cant see a needle. Even talking about them trips him up.

He is home and fine. Get results in a few hours.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I have when I had an MRI for my shoulder and head. It smelled nasty and didn't even feel the needle go in.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• He said the needle hurt and he had a headache after. Nothing major.
    staciandababy

Comment by staciandababy (original poster) at 11:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Yes but it was not a shot it was an IV and you a lying down.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 1:55 AM on Jan. 12, 2013