• In the Spotlight:

Twins

Im 28 weeks tomorrow pregnant with twin boys they have there own placenta and dr said baby A weighed 2pounds 12 ounces and baby B weighed exactly 2 pounds? is that normal can one be bigger than the other my dr is pretty dumb and has been very dramatic about this for a while when all hes doing is putting stress and nervousness on me i am in the process of looking for another dr but in the meantime can someone please tell me if thats a good baby weight for 28 weeks and is it really that big of a deal for one to be 12 ounces more than the other

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2013 in Pregnancy

• yes its very normal
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Is it normal for twins to weigh differently or is it a big concern?? im so lost btw they are fraternal
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Why would they be exactly the same?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• its normal for them to weigh different. Just because they are twins doesnt mean they will weigh the very same even if they were identical, they wouldn weigh the same.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• my dr needs to go back to college or something!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Anon 1, hun... why does she need to go back to grade school? She is concerned by her doctors reaction and was looking for some clarification while she locates a new doctor... There are no gross misspellings or grammar issues and she was polite and rather clear about her problem... what do you see that I am missing.
    Anonymous

• I don't think you can know for certain that they are fraternal twins yet. (Since they are same-sex twins.)
    Identical twins can have their own placentas, too. (That just means that the egg split within the first four days after ovulation, before the placenta/chorionic membrane had begun forming. So they each would would form their own chorions/placentas as well as their individual amniotic sac. If the egg splits between days 5-8, the twins would share a single placenta but they would have their own amniotic sacs.)
    So having two placentas doesn't indicate that they are fraternal twins.

But the fact that they have their own placentas does reduce risk & reduces the chance that a weight disparity between them indicates a problem.
    And it is not unusual for fraternal (dizygotic) twins to differ in weight, any more than any two siblings might differ in size or looks. Genetically, they have the same relationship as ANY sibling pair.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 5:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• TOTALLY normal for twins to not weigh the same. identical or not. congrats btw on having two little blessings :]
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 6:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• It is normal for them to weigh differently from each other and I wouldn't worry about it.
    Sierrarose99

Answer by Sierrarose99 at 10:40 PM on Jan. 13, 2013