Tablet for a kindergartner?

My daughter will be going to kindergarten in the fall. I've been thinking of getting her a tablet this summer, since she's still not reading yet, although she knows what all of her numbers and letters look like. Have any of you bought tablets for your kids? What are some things I need to look for when choosing one?

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 4:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2013 in Technology

• I haven't, BUT, I got myself a Kindle Fire for Christmas. It has kindle free time on it (first month is free, after that it's just a couple bucks a month) which is for kids - books, games, all kinds of stuff. What I like about it is once the kid's playing, you have to put in a password for them to get out of it - so I feel safe letting my kids play in that app without me hovering. Then of course there are all the other apps & whatnot you can put on it. And while some of the other kiddie tablets will only go so far, a Kindle will good as they age too, provided nothing happens to it of course ;o).
    idareyou

Answer by idareyou at 8:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Is it going to be just for educational purposes?
    I'd go with the Leappad version

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:53 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I agree a leappad would be better and not as expensive
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 4:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I would not worry to much about her not reading yet. Lots of kids do not read prior to K. However I am a big fan of educational devices and I love the idea of the leap pad tablet.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I think it's absurd to buy tablets for young kids like that. . If reading is your concern I would invest in a Leap Pad TAG reader and accompaning books.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• My almost 10 year old has a Nexus 7 (from xmas) and he downloads books from the Public Library as well as buys them from Amazon. The tablet can do SO much that kids this age just don't need. He has email, youtube, Netflix, music, movies on it and the list goes on. He does watch movies, plays some games and reads on it.

For a Kindergartener, I think there must be a better, more useful device but who am I to say?
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2013