Have you ever had a strong smell trigger a memory?

I just opened a dusty box that had been in my attic since I moved into my townhouse five and a half years ago, and before I even reached in, the smell took me back to my grandma's house when I was a kid. There was an Indian princess costume in the box that my grandma had worn to a Halloween party thirty years ago, when I was injunior high-ish. It was so awesome and amazing, how one whiff and I was in another time and place.

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 4:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2013 in Just for Fun

• Old spice, makes me think of my great grandpa and grandpa. I will stand there and smell old men because well it takes me to a happy place, ( I guess I'm a certified creeper)
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 5:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Oh yeah, sense of smell is a powerful tool to go back in time.....

Answer by older at 5:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Freshly baked snickerdoodles. Just thinking about it makes me remember how my grandma would bake dozens of them right as my brothers and I were getting home from school. Very awesome after school snack :D
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 5:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I guess I am the same way. My grandmother used to own an antique store and then operated out of her basement for a while. I love the way those stores smell.... My husband can't stand it!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Crayons & bologna send me right back to elementary school.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Yep! Diesel exhaust always makes me think of my daddy & grandaddy, peppermint makes me think about my vacation to Disney World, & hospital antiseptic makes me think of my mom.
    KA91

Answer by KA91 at 5:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Yeah patron... And it's not a good memory.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 5:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• i have these old sheets and pillow cases from my grandparents house. i keep them in the linen closet and we never actually use them.. but if i lay our sheets with those sheets it makes my pillow smell like my grandfather. Kinda smells like his soap with a hint of his cologne. ive missed him terribly since his passing, so sometimes i will go in there just to take a wiff and inhale the memories..

same goes for the smell of gasoline or those tire places. (like auto garages) the smell of those places brings me back to playing at my dads house as a child. He had an old garage that he was always working in.. so i love the smell.
    nnh_mama

Answer by nnh_mama at 6:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Absolutely, in fact scent is THE strongest trigger of memory. I walked past a kid in the grocery store the other day, got a whiff of him and spun around looking for my dad (who's been gone 13 years). There is a Scentsy scent (Back Raspberry Vanilla) that smells exactly like one of the Strawberry Shortcake dolls I played with in 3rd grade. There's another one that smells like Salon Selectives shampoo- hello 1989!
    So that's one of my favorite parts about Scentsy parties- you get to hear everyone's stories as they time warp back to whatever memory the smell triggers.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 6:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Pine needles, fall leaves, that first crisp cold scent of winter, those all take me right back to my childhood, and a flood of memories!! Love that!!!
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 7:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2013