carpet eating kitty!!!

One of my cats eats carpet padding. I am not kidding. We have an area rug in my sons room and we discovered he was crawling under and chowind down!! We keep the door closed now. But here's my prob. We just bought new area carpet for living room and kitchen. How can I keep him from wanting to eat it? I thought of using cayenne pepper since i have done that before. But they are BIG area rugs and I'd need a pound of pepper. Any ideas?

GMR

Asked by GMR at 10:52 AM on Feb. 13, 2009 in Pets

• A friend of mine had a cat who always went for her birds. She got a squirt gun and sprayed her everytime she got up by them. She got it after a while. Hope this helps.
    mndpfff

Answer by mndpfff at 11:15 AM on Feb. 13, 2009

• How long has he been eating padding? There must be something in it to attract him to want to eat it. Cats are finicky eaters to say the least. Has something that you know of maybe spilled on the carpet ? Anyway what I was getting to is that cats are mainly carnivore. They eat meat. In your cats diet there may be something lacking. I might add a few new things to his diet to give him  viriaty Cats do eat melon, yogurt,cheese,and yes, pitiless olives.Boiled chicken necks,and backs are excellent source of exercise for their teeth.If your cat enjoys catnip you can give it to him on the floor. Some cats do have bizarre food passions. My cat likes taco chips,with cheese and garlic. So try a little excitement in his diet to get his attention OFF the carpet padding, anda see if that works..Good luck and have fun trying new things  for your cat! Hope this will work for you and yours.

doglovergranny

Answer by doglovergranny at 12:55 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Wow, I totally had the wrong idea when I opened this question. Sorry 'bout that.
    Anonymous

• You thought that her carpet was eating her kitty? Hahaha, that's what I thought till I read it! I think like the PP that it's probably something lacking in her food. They say cats don't like sweets because they have no "sweet sensors" on their tongues, but I think they are wrong, my cat will FIGHT me for chocolate. She also loves potato chips and taco chips, but she won't touch tuna fish, which is exceedenly strange.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 7:42 PM on Feb. 13, 2009

• Try doing what a PP said and offer some variety. My kitty loves him some drywall, sooooo I started giving him some extras...loves chicken livers...keeps him away from the damn wall for a while.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 3:02 AM on Feb. 14, 2009