Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Do lawyers always require a retainer ?

I need to hire a lawyer to kelp me file a motion for my divorce to be Advertised, are they going to require a retainer for this.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Jan. 10, 2013 in Relationships

Answers (11)
  • Not always, but usually. You might be able to find one to do it for a small fee instead of a retainer, but it will take some definite looking.

    Answer by missanc at 7:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

  • Probably... once an attorney files in court he is representing you, he is obliged to do so even if does not get compensated, this way part of his fee is secured. He can take himself off, but it is a long process that takes time, and paper work...too many attorneys get burned and this is how a retainer was born..

    Answer by older at 7:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

  • but what if i just need help with a motion and thats it

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

  • If you need help with a small portion look into the cities legal aid they have a list of lawyers that do pro bono work and will help you do legal paperwork. You could call around with the paper filed out and see if the lawyer will review it as a consultation.

    Answer by amandajoy21 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

  • You might get help from a law student, they are always eager to do and learn....check out legal aid or something of the sort in your area...

    Answer by older at 7:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

  • Be careful with consultations make sure they are free, many lawyers I know charge for a consultation and the fee is stiff!

    Answer by older at 7:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

  • For a divorce: yes.

    Answer by 3libras at 9:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

  • I dont want her to file everything I just want her to help with filing the motion to advertise

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:16 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

  • Call the Bar Association in your state.

    Answer by booklover545 at 8:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

  • I don't think you *need* a lawyer to do that. Some people prefer a lawyer to since they're already working with a lawyer for the entire divorce anyway. Call the clerk of the court and ask them if you could file the motion yourself. If you do prefer a lawyer to do this, then yes a retainer would be needed but be sure it says in there that you're only hiring the lawyer to perform this one specific filing and include the name of the document to be filed. Usually, they charge a flat fee for this. I'd shop around for prices and even experienced paralegals can do this for maybe cheaper. is a good site to shop for lawyers. Also check out their reviews.

    Answer by hellokittykat at 8:46 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.