Hospital stay times??

Around here when you give birth vaginally you stay at the hospital for 3 days, and when you have a c-section you stay for 5. I was just wondering if this is the same everywhere and is it mandatory?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2013 in Pregnancy

• Here its 24 hours for vaginal(minimum) and 3 days for C section
    I was out of there just past the 24 hr window,lol

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I went home the next day
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• When I had my son 17 years ago, the rule was you are out 24 hours after delivery. It was really hard. I could have used an extra day or 2. With my other 2 I had c-sections and spent 4 days in. It was really nice.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I was in the hospital for 4 days with both of my c-secs. A friend of mine was there less than 24 hour after he vaginal!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Depends on how the baby is and how your labor went. I had my kids in Illinois (I don't know if it's different state to state). The baby is required to stay for 24 hours, but the mother isn't required to stay.

I had a very difficult delivery with my oldest and he had to be resuscitated when he was born. He was in really rough shape and stayed in the hospital for a week, then had a daily visit by a home nurse for 10 days. I was only checked into the hospital for I think 4 or 5 days. I can't remember. They let me keep my room and stay with my baby, even though I was no longer a patient.

I had a much better delivery with my youngest and left exactly 24 hours after he was born.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Wow 24 hours!?!? That's crazy, unless you want it that way of course! I hear some people want to leave as soon as possible anyway
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Yes, with my second I felt fantastic after he was born. I'd had a very difficult pregnancy and right away when he was out, I felt immediately better. He was 20 minutes old and I was asking if I could go home. I felt like a million bucks and remember saying I could do cartwheels across my hospital room. Very different than my first.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• i was stuck in the hospital for 3 days with both of mine (same hospital). i hated it! i wanted to leave the next day and they kept coming up for reasons why i needed to stay and i was too sleep deprived to fight them.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 8:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Yes, with my insurance it was the same. But with the second pregnancy I could have gone home the same day but I didn't want to leave the baby.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• 24 hours for me
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2013