My old dog won't eat her food anymore

I have a 11 YO golden retriever that all of a sudden for about a week will not eat her food. I usually give her Iams dry weight control formula. she's been eating 1-2 bowls a day just fine for many years. I know she is starving, she has been snatching people food out of the kids hands and eats anything left on the table. She hasn't dared do that in years. I even put some leftover meat in her bowl and mixed it, she just ate the meat. I poured some beef broth over, and she just licked the kibbles. She is going to the bathroom just fine and doesn't seem to be in any other distress. Any ideas , until I can get her in to the vet?

luvschocolate

Asked by luvschocolate at 8:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2013 in Pets

• She might be having trouble with her teeth. I would bring her to the vet and soften her dry food with warm water until you can get there.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 8:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Do her gums look swollen? She may have a tooth bothering her and the hunger and smell of real food is making it imposible for her to resist but the dry food may hurt.
    I don't know
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 8:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Have you tried changing brands of foods or flavors if they have other flavors available? Sometimes animals just get sick of the normal food. It could also be a problem with her gums/teeth maybe one is loose or broken?
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I'll tell you what the vet told me with our old dog.....feed her whatever she will eat...at this point it doesn't make a lot of difference.

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• It does sound like her teeth. Poor baby. Ask the vet to check her out just in case. You might have to start feeding her moist food, or mixing something together for her.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I think a VET check is best. I hope everything's okay.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• hope all turned out fine
    san78

Answer by san78 at 3:33 PM on Jan. 18, 2013

• Vet but until then wet food.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 8:41 PM on Jan. 23, 2013