I may just have to strangle my son! (okay not really...)

Sooo my son is 5.. and he makes these ANNOYING noises ALL the time. They are like play noises, siren sounds, singing songs in his own made up words, beeping and booping, or just straight up screeeeeeching. All of these noises are all SO loud and SO high pitched I just wanna scream! Someone PLEASE tell me how to make him stop! Also, I think I may have asked this same question before but I got no help, just people asking me if hes autistic, which he isnt.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• lol. We have quiet time after dinner. You can play in your room quietly or sit on the couch and watch tv quietly. If you can't sit quietly you can just go to bed. You can't make him be quiet all the time but you can set limits at certain times of day to give yourself a break. On weekends they also have a strict quiet time for an hour after lunch where they play in their rooms door shut. My kids are just turned 5 and 8.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Yes, we had a quiet/down time that we put into place and I made my bedroom "the mellow zone." Certain kinds of play were okay and others weren't. In a way, it's cute that he's on his own playing and making sounds. He may be the next great actor of his time? Who knows.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 9:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• No, I remember my brothers and cousins doing that too. My brother used to pretend he was Spider Man all the time. Drove me nuts! Boys are just crazy.... He's expressing himself.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Ear plugs? Or give him a lollipop to suck on.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I have a perfectly average five year old who is on the same kick. Must be a kick. Gosh I love him but he is really annoying. I have offered a dollar for five full minutes of silence several times and has made it to three. Doing the same thing to him seems most effective because he hates it.
    hotelmom123

Answer by hotelmom123 at 10:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• He is expressing himself, Normal for a 5 year old. Practice the inside voices with him. When you are indoors; we talk like this (quietly) but when we are outside, we yell like this (ARRGGH). He will laugh, and mimick what you are doing. Every time he starts to get a little loud, put your finger to your mouth and quietly say, "Inside voices." He will catch on. I assume he is going to school, and the teachers should be showing the children how to use their inside voices, so you can run off that by saying we need to use our inside voices like they do at school.
    Sierrarose99

Answer by Sierrarose99 at 11:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Hahaha!! I have the same problem w/ my nearly 5 y/o son. He's constantly making noises and sounds, allllll day long, until I just wanna bury my head under a pillow, and scream myself!!! lol. He also has a ds, that has a voice changer on it, and so he'll yell or repeat the same words or phrase into it, and then hit the play button.... over... and over.... and over again, until I just wanna throw the thing away! I feel like I"m living w/ a tellatubby.... "again, again" ARGH!! Totally relate and sympathize w/ you!! If you find anything that works, please pass it along!
    HappyEndings

Answer by HappyEndings at 11:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2013