This is NOT a cake OR gummy bear question... Just me gripping about my son not going to bed.

I am so ready to kill 'im. So we used to have A LOT of sleep issues. In the last year and a half we have taken him off of the melatonin and he has been sleeping on his own- most night at a reasonable hour. All of the sudden in the last month he has started to FIGHT bed time. Screaming, stomping, making excuses (both reasonable and not) Just making a racket. Problem? We live in an apt and there is a family under us with small children. I am SO TIRED of fighting about it that when it started tonight I yelled 'FINE- I don't care if you go to bed or not tonight. You can stay in your room or sit quietly on the couch no tv. Just leave leave me alone. Pick your own bed time.' He tried to argue with me about that so I told him he could do what he likes about his bed time - I am not arguing with him and I will not be speaking to him the rest of the night- good night love you. He ran to his room crying but has been in and out of his room playing for the last hour and a half. Any bets on when he chooses to go to sleep? Thank GOD we will be going to the psychiatrist tomorrow. We will ask about reintroducing melatonin to his evening routine.

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 9:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I hope they can fix his sleep issues Doc. Too late though, I already made PB cookies! Good luck at the Dr's tomorrow.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:54 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I feel your pain. Jeremy has gotten out of bed numerous times. My favorite excuse so far is he got up to ask me if I had medicine for bruises. I asked him where the bruise was at and he said he didn't know. UGH! I threatened to take his game away for tomorrow's electronic game party at school.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:54 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I had that same problem with my oldest son. He was really into the Transformers characters, so I made a deal with him. If he would go to bed without a fight, I would buy him a Transformer figure at the end of the month. It worked. I wrote down a star on the calendar every night that he went to bed when I asked him to, and a frownie face when he resisted. At the end of the month, I counted all the stars on the calendar with him, and then the frownie faces. He did good. In 30 days, he had 23 stars, and only 7 frownie faces. I bought him the Transformer, and he kept it up so he could get the next figurine at the end of the month. Your son is counting on the power struggles with you, you are on the right track. Put him in bed, if he gets up, put him back in bed. If he likes the door open to his room, then tell him that if he gets out of bed again, you will close the door. Try reading a story to him, and see if that helps. GL.
    Sierrarose99

Answer by Sierrarose99 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• My oldest has never been a good sleeper. She's always been a night owl, she quit taking naps around 20 months old. And, even if she stays up late, she'll wake up by 8 am. And by late, I mean midnight. She literally runs on fumes and always has. I've just learned to accept it. She's just not allowed to do anything noisy after 9 pm. But, I have discovered that she hates staying up by herself & will go to sleep if I do.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 11:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• How frustrating!
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 11:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• It must be something in the air. Mine has resisted bedtime for the last few days, too. She goes through spels of it, then drops it for a while and then it crops up again. This time it's being scared of falling asleep like Sleeping Beauty and staying that way, but now that's become an excuse because she won't try anything to help the fear go away.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:23 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• He was still awake at 11 so he should be a real pleasure for the Dr tomorrow. As grumpy cat would say 'Good.' lol. they can see his true colors... again... :0)
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 12:27 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• So, what time did he finally fall asleep?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Just after 11. though was oddly normal this morning... guess he is already so high strung and disagreeable that it doesn't matter.
    But_Mommie

Comment by But_Mommie (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• I feel your pain. I was driving the kids to school this morning when I got a call from my son's teacher. Not even 9 am and I was already dealing with it. I have a call in to his doctor already.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:13 PM on Jan. 11, 2013