Adoption Questions- Just because I am interested?

If you've adopted, been adopted, etc... Do you have an open or closed adoption? What is the advantage of one over the over in your opinion? If you adopted a child, do you know everything about that child? Do you feel a need to?

I guess I've never given it much thought, but have seen two shows about it today.

m-avi

Asked by m-avi at 10:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2013 in Adoption

• I am a mom through adoption. It was an infant adoption through an agency and it is open. I believe that open is the better of the two options because it allows the adoptee to know their birth-family and to hopefully be able to have any questions answered when they want/need them...not having to wait until they are over 18 or finally able to locate.

Knowing everything about a child before adopting would be nice, I guess...but it's not realistic. In our case, we are pretty sure that BMom lied about drinking during her pregnancy and how much she smoked. Knowing what we know now about her, wouldn't be too shocked if we found out she also did drugs and had mental health issues. Would knowing all that have changed our minds now? No way. Would it have changed our minds before placement? Probably.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 11:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• when you adopt a child you can have either a close or open adoption. a close adoption is when the child you adopted is not able too have communication with their biological parents, whereas if you do a open adoption then his biological parents are involved with the child/children. when you adopt your suppose too know everything about the child and their family. i do feel the need too know what im getting myself into.
    maluanjade

Answer by maluanjade at 10:16 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I was adopted in 1963. Closed; no one had open adoptions back then. I have never felt I lacked anything because of that.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:20 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• adopted 1972, I was 7- found BP's and they were asshats (adoption was closed)
    placed a child 1987, worst day of my life, coerced -sent to maternity home that helped with coercion (closed adoption)
    have just legally adopted my grandchild her mother lives with us so very open.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• My niece is adopted.  It's open.  She has spoken to her BM, and pictures have been exchanged.   She has met other siblings who were also adopted.  Her BM had many children she placed for adoption.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:26 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• I adopted with my spouse. Open. Still I get people asking why open and the question of why. It will take some time before this is just common and accepted as normal.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 6:43 AM on Jan. 11, 2013