Husband seems to have issues everywhere he works...

When DH and I got married 6 1/2 years ago he worked as a laborer in a factory....it was his longest job he had held in his whole life....he was there about 6 years when they fired him, and he always had complaints about people, how they did things...the list goes on. He was unemployed for close to two years after that and got hired somewhere else. Same story. Complaints about everyone and everything! Employers being unfair to him because he's male in a female dominated industry. I can believe it to a point. Fired again. Unemployed a month and got on at another job via a reference from a close family friend that works there.....it's been three weeks and he's already having problems with people, procedures....etc etc (this place does have a bad reputation though)...so again I can believe it to an extent.
However, whenever I was employed anywhere......there was RARELY IF EVER a problem that wasn't solved smoothly. Nobody I disliked or hated, no employer so crazy that I couldn't come to understand and even like eventually after I got to know them. I've only gotten "fired" once because of an injury that happened before my probationary period was up....so it wasn't on bad terms or something I intended to do wrong...
I feel like it's my husbands attitude and communication that are affecting his work relations. I've brought it up to him a few times in hopes that it would enlighten him as to why issues keep happening in the work place but he chalks it up to bad employers/coworkers, and basically the people and places themselves.
I'm at my wits end. How do I cope with this kind of up and down lifestyle? After a few jobs being lost I'm tired.
I've had employment and he has not supported me in it. I feel like I'm out of options.

Thanks for reading....*depressed and defeated*

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2013 in Money & Work

• It's him. He's the common denominator

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Well I don't blame you for being upset. Right off the bat, this problem screams a lack of accountability. If he's better than his bosses and co-workers, he should be in management. Why isn't he in a higher position? Why isn't he in a better job? Clearly his attitude is biting him in the butt. Is he educated? Maybe he needs an education/training of some sort. Regardless, this is life. Unless he does more to get a better job (a better career position) he'll always be in the jobs where he hates everyone he works with. The real question is, is he too big for his britches? I suspect he is.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• My husband has plenty of problems where he works, but he keeps his mouth shut, does what he's told and then bitches about it at home. Your husband should learn to do the same.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• All of the above is the same feelings I have about it.....but what do you do? He doesn't face the cold hard facts that it's his attitude that's doing this to him. Yes your always going to "those people" you work with but if your nice to people, you don't gossip and you give 150% you would do really well in your job and enjoy being there.
    He has one year left of school and he will have his RN (BSN). After that he's decided to go onto something more lucrative for our family....which is fine but this work history is going to bite him in the butt.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• I should say bite "US" in the butt....
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• It sounds like you know what/who the problem is. But what you can do about it, I'm clueless.
    That really sucks that he doesn't understand this is real world.
    Will this attitude roll over into his career as an RN? I hope not for your sake.

Good luck! Hopefully, somehow you can get through to him.
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Sounds like he has a really bad attitude when it comes to work.
    JennieMarie1103

Answer by JennieMarie1103 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2013

• Wow, this is a stumper. I'm wondering if maybe you two have a male friend who can try to get through to your husband. Maybe he would take an attitude adjustment more easily from another guy, and someone who doesn't have to live with him afterward.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 12:10 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• When he was unemployed, did he have to go through any career counseling? He won't listen to you on this but you're quite right and if he's a surly RN he will remain unemployed.

So a third party needs to tell him. A counselor of some kind would be in order.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:18 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Sadly I don't think there is anything you can do about it. Your DH needs to learn to work with others and adjust his attitude because if he has lost all these jobs do to conflicts with management then he isn't listening to what management says and is trying to do his own thing. Being a nurse he has to follow the rules or the hospital/clinic is open to malpractice lawsuits and he could seriously hurt or kill someone. Have him talk to a counselor to help him learn why these jobs aren't working out and what he can do.
    amandajoy21

Answer by amandajoy21 at 5:45 AM on Jan. 11, 2013