Mom donates surgery money to neighbor child with cancer

CLICKY

WOONONA, Australia — A young mother who is in need of lifesaving surgery has donated funds raised in her name to a neighbor child with cancer.

Jamie-Lee Hall, 24, is preparing for a second round of brain surgery to treat a rare neurological condition called moyamoya disease. The disease blocks arteries at the base of the brain, putting the patient at risk of paralysis.

Hall, a mother of two, had an initial surgery shortly before Christmas of 2009. A donation of $7,000 from a terminally ill man and $2,500 from the Live Love Laugh Foundation paid for the surgery.

When Hall learned late in 2012 that she would need an additional surgery, she turned to family and friends, who began raising money for the surgery. The money was not needed, though; Hall found out on Christmas Eve there was a specialist at Sydney's Royal Prince Alfred Hospital that would do the surgery for free.

Hall told the Illawarra Mercury she decided to give the money raised for her surgery to her 11-year-old neighbor, Connor, instead of saving it for future medical expenses. Connor, who has cancer, needs an urgent operation to remove a brain tumor.

"Me and Connor have always got along because I was diagnosed when I was his age, so I had the same sort of childhood that he's having," she told the paper. "So, the minute they said we wouldn't have to pay, I said I wanted him to have the money. He needs it more than I do now."

Hall said she wants her children, Mark, 3, and Maddison, 18 months, how to help those in need.

"When I was younger, everyone did the same thing for me by raising money for me to get a wheelchair, and I want to show my kids that they can do the same thing," she said.

What would have you done?

I am torn with this, if it was me I don't know what I would do. I am a mother of two little kids and I dont want to leave them behind, yet this child is gong to die without this surgery.

I am glad she is able to have the surgery but we live in the US not very many doctors would do something like that for free. 

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 9:05 AM on Jan. 11, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• It's called pay it forward. She may need the money in the future but this child needs the money now. I'd do it in a heartbeat.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 9:09 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Yes, she made the right decision. I wish both of them well.

Answer by Bmat at 9:24 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• A terminally ill man in 2009 donated $7,000 to her for her first surgery, so yea I think of this as her paying it forward and giving her donations to the little boy. If I were in the SAME exact position as her, where the first money was donated and I am now getting a free surgery then yes I would donate it.
    If the situations were different as in there was never any money donated, it was all from my own saving etc.. then I probably would not because as you said OP it is very unlikely that a surgeon in the US would give me a free surgery
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 9:33 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• It is a personal choice, I like the person to person if you can or want to help , just heard a story of all the disasters of the last few years has not gone to those that needed it and they are just as bad off if not worse
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 11:33 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• I think it is fucking insane that MEDICAL CARE is out of reach for so many people. People should not have to be raising money from donations to have life saving procedures.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• I understand the feelings but to me it is fraud. People donated to help this woman and the funds are shunted to someone else. It is dishonest.

I understand that no one wants someone to lose their child.
    And no one wants to die and leave their children motherless. But if it comes to your child''s wellbeing or my children's. Mine will win out everytime.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:56 PM on Jan. 11, 2013