What do you think about this? I think it is insanity taken to a new level.

Is bulimia going high-tech?

New stomach pump promises easy weight loss

By Sally Wadyka 19 hours ago

Being able to eat anything you want -- and in whatever quantity you want -- without gaining weight is pretty much the Holy Grail of dieting. A miniscule percentage of the population can pull it off, thanks to having won some sort of genetic lottery. A few others accomplish it by exercising at the level of competitive athletes 365 days a year. But for most of us, eating mass quantities of yummy foods without packing on extra pounds is just a nice-sounding dream -- one filled with gallons of ice cream, a delicious variety of cheese and piles of pasta, cookies and cakes. 

But wait. A company called Aspire Bariatrics is looking to turn the dream into reality. How? Meet the AspireAssist. This new device, which is available in Europe but has not received FDA approval here, is a pump that allows users to get rid of much of what they consume before the body has a chance to digest it. After having a tube surgically implanted into the stomach, with a port on the surface of the skin that you can open and close, you are then able to attach a small device that drains out your stomach contents after every meal. According to the company's website, “the process is performed in the privacy of the restroom, and the food is drained directly into the toilet.” 

Eating a big meal and then purging it into the toilet. Hmm, that sounds so familiar. Oh, yeah, it’s called bulimia. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, bulimia is “characterized by recurrent and frequent episodes of eating unusually large amounts of food and feeling a lack of control over these episodes. This binge-eating is followed by behavior that compensates for the overeating such as forced vomiting, excessive use of laxatives or diuretics, fasting, excessive exercise, or a combination of these behaviors.” Or you could just pump the food out

http://healthyliving.msn.com/blogs/daily-apple-blog-post?post=26f41c13-c688-461f-9cf0-011e502bf6b0&_nwpt=1&gt=32166

booklover545

Asked by booklover545 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 11, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Wow, so if you want to be skinny and sexy, just surgically implant a barf tube in your stomach? Yeah, because THAT's sexy.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 10:42 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Oh but bulimia leads to deterioration of the esophagus and.........

So yes let's put in a tube.

And this is not going to have the chance of being infected or dislodged or backed up or...............?
    Isn't science wonderful? Lack of self contro? No problem, we have a surgery for everyone.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 6:52 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• not a good invention
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 10:36 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• That's awesome. Now everybody can have an eating disorder without all the yucky inconvenience of making yourself puke or taking disgusting laxatives!
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 11:28 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• That has to be very harmful to the esophagus and the stomach. It sounds horrible. Insane.
    lga1965

Answer by lga1965 at 9:26 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• But wouldn't you just be hungry again after "emptying" your stomach? Sounds gross, dangerous and useless

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 7:51 PM on Jan. 12, 2013

• Seriously? wow.
    And the really sad part is that there are people who would go for this...

disturbing
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:34 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• That is disturbing. So it's a device that attaches to a surgically implanted GI tube, am I understanding that right? I have no idea why anyone would want to do that. It sounds insane to me. I've had a GI tube. It was ugly, nasty , and stinky, a huge pain in the butt. And now It looks like I have a gun shot wound scar under my rib cage on my left side. It was medically necessary though.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:00 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• I'm so down, I hate puking.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 11:03 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Just a bad idea all around, does that mean it give the OK to those doing it on their own? Keep in mind either way the bad effects will be the same
    sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 11:11 AM on Jan. 11, 2013