Should I read my teens' text messages?

I read her messages. Shes always saying its her privacy and that I don't trust her. Right or Wrong mama act? I mean what is she saying on there I can't read? I don't want her texting some 24 year old man.

hergetalong

Asked by hergetalong at 11:20 AM on Jan. 11, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• I would say that if you have never found anything then why not trust her? I don't think you need to inform her you are stopping, but she could write a note, say it verbal, or delete what she doesn't want you to know.
    jerseydiva

Answer by jerseydiva at 11:30 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• How old is she?
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:21 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• I think if you don't want her texting, you shouldn't have it on your plan
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 11:27 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• She is 14. Turning 15 in May.
    hergetalong

Comment by hergetalong (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• I've never caught anything on it.
    hergetalong

Comment by hergetalong (original poster) at 11:32 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• I think being 14 you should have access to her phone if need be. Until she is old enough to pay for the phone herself, it is yours. I wouldn't get all crazy on her and check it every time it rings, but random checks wouldn't be a bad idea.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:32 AM on Jan. 11, 2013

• As was previously stated I think anything remotely incriminating would be deleted anyway. Really, having an idea of what is going on in her life is more essential than trying to read texts. Talking and being involved in her life is a way better barometer of her activities. Teaching her the necessity to be smart about posting, texting and electronically communicating in general will probably serve you and her better than playing, "Gotcha!" by fishing around in her text history. Especially if she has never abused the privilege.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:39 AM on Jan. 11, 2013