Frustrated!

My son is 7 and he has ADHD. Since he has been in school it's been a ton of issues. Very rarely he will get through the school week with no problems. He takes meds to calm him down. It works sometimes but of course not all the time. He is also a stubborn child and some days he will refuse to do his school work.
The school is supposed to be having him evaluated for an IEP so that he can get the help he needs. But in the meantime, I guess since he does not have an IEP, the school calls us to pick him up whenever he is not cooperating. Sometimes 15 or 20 minutes after we drop him off they are calling. Are they allowed to call us to pick him up every time? Aren't they supposed to be trained to work with all types of children?
It's like they do not give him a chance to change his behavior before calling us to come and get him. I don't know how I am going to be able to pick him up everytime when I start school net week. My husband is currently looking fora job and when h starts back to work, he won't be able to pick him up all the time either. We have ran out of options with my son and I am mentally drained.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Jan. 11, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• They absolutely can and will call you to get him. They can't have him there disrupting other children's learning.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:58 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• You can push for a 504 behavior plan without an IEP. ADHD on its own won't qualify him for an IEP, but you can insist on writing up a 504.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 12:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• I understand they can't have him there disrupting other students. The only thing he will do is refuse to do his work and sit there. I just don't know what to do because he has to go to school and most of the time I feel they do not try to help and just give up on him and call to get picked up. Then I also feel he is getting use to being picked up and that certainly is not teaching him that he has to stay at school. He don't disrupt the class, like making noises or bothering others. He just won't do the work.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:03 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Do you think that maybe he acts up because he knows you will come get him? Perhaps while you have a parent who can and you need to nip this in the bud ask if instead of sending him home if you can stay with him to try to control him
    Anonymous

• You need to push for an IEP so he can be placed in the right school with the right classrooms to meet his needs both behaviorally and educationally.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• I have asked to sit with him in class but the school doesn't allow it. I just don't know what to do anymore. I don't think he acts up because he knows I will come and get him. He has been acting up no matter what. He has serious problems with adapting to everyday living skills. He has always hated going to school since preschool despite how much we try to encourage him to go and do his best. We acknowledge when he does well and he is very smart and knows the work. I don't know how to get him to want to be at school or to like being at school. I just don't know what to do anymore. I have talked to the principal, teachers, school psychologist many times but in the end I feel like I am not getting the help he needs. I am doing everything I can here at home to keep him on track, and when he goes to school I feel like they give up on him. I have thought about homeschooling but I really can't afford to be at home all day.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Contact your county superintendent if you have to. He has a right to a free and APPROPRIATE education and they are REQUIRED to provide it. It sounds like they are blowing you off and you need to go over their heads. Be ready to pick a fight. He deserves and IEP or at Minimum a 504.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:04 PM on Jan. 11, 2013