Do they still teach cursive in school?

Conversation about cursive came up and we all wondered if it was still even taught. I remember learning in the 2nd grade. Anyone have a kid about that age? Are they learning it?

maecntpntz219

Asked by maecntpntz219 at 1:19 PM on Jan. 11, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My dau learned it at her school when she was in 2nd grade (actually, I taught her myself when she was in the 1st grade). I think it would be a huge mistake to do away with it. What about a signature? Reading an old love letter between your parents or grandparents?  We may type more, but that doesn't mean it's lost its importance.

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Ours does, but I've seen others say that theirs don't when this has come up here before. Stupid not to - no matter how many things are computerized, there will always be original documents in script and people will need to be able to read them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• My daughter is in the 2nd grade now.. & yes, she just started learning cursive last semester.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:20 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Yes, but not much time is spent on it.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 1:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• 3libras, they are assuming that there will be no paper signatures later in life and just electronic sigantures which means whatever you put there will work- just like the walmart sgnature ads lol, I wrote ella bella on one and it took it
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:23 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

Crazy.....no that won't result in fraud (intense sarcasm).
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:30 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Hey thanks!
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:46 PM on Feb. 11, 2013

• My oldest is only in Kindergarten. I'd assume that they still do but, I really don't know. Wouldn't one at least need to learn it so, they can sign their name later in life?
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 1:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Indiana and some states have stopped and I hear all will eventually. Ours goes to a private school and they are teaching it in KG

luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 1:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• My 10 year old learned it last year.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:24 PM on Jan. 11, 2013