SD 8 with ADHD how to cope and how to disipline?

Quote Like Reply to Post .

I have a step daughter who is 8 and a daughter who is 2. My SD has become very out of control and her behavior is stressing me out so much. She is so hyper and is constantly running around the house dashing from one place to the other, talking incredibly loud, screaming, just nonstop all the time. She refuses to sit down and do her homework because she says she doesn't understand it and doesn't know what to do but when we actually get her to sit down and work on it she finishes it in 2 minutes and its right and everything. She never wants to eat what we make for dinner, she fights it till the bitter end, doesn't matter to her if she has to go to bed early for not eating her dinner, nothing. She just refuses. She will throw things on the floor so she doesn't have to eat, tries to act like she's throwing up to not eat exc. But 20 mins before dinner she's starving. She is constantly telling everyone else it's their fault when things don't go her way. She screams at video games and tells us the game is cheating because she isn't winning. There is just so many things going on. She is going to a new school this year and it sounds like all the kids at school are calling her "weird" she says and she tells us all the time that she's just a weirdo and weird exc. We put her in things she enjoys, we praise her when she does things she's supposed to and when she plays sports we are constantly complimenting her etc. but it's never enough. She told her grandma that we throw all her stuff away. Because we might make her go through her toys and stuffed animals every 6 months and get rid of stuff she doesn't play with or what not to make room for new stuff. I don't throw them away just put them in storage or might garage sale a few things as well, but that's reality I cannot possibly keep every single thing. She wants to keep the paper off of crayons and corners of paper that she tears off. It's gotten to the point where I just am so frustrated all the time with her because she just doesn't listen. The nonstop movement and the loud voice and the asking me to come look at her stuff every 5 seconds is just absolutely draining anymore. We are getting her into a psychiatrist this month to evaluate for Adhd and I'm hoping they can offer us some insight but wasn't sure if anyone on here had any advice for getting through this or how to handle these behaviors. I have tried everything!

stepmom2B29

Asked by stepmom2B29 at 1:45 PM on Jan. 11, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• This does not sound like it's all ADHD. Get her in and have her checked out.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 1:51 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• I'm not experienced in ADHD, or anything like it. The only advice I can give is to keep a strict routine. Make sure she knows what's expected of her. From the time her feet hit the floor in the morning, to when she goes to bed, keep a daily routine. Also make sure she knows she's to respect your rules, and if she doesn't there are consequences. She sounds smart enough to understand.
    As for the therapist, I agree, it's time to have her evaluated. I hope you can come up with a plan, and it works for you, and her. GL.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:01 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• At this point any rest you can get is very important, as a care giver the stress will be worse. Until you know for sure rest as much as possible. Here is a link on the issue   http://www.circleofmoms.com/addadhd-childrens-mothers/has-anyone-helped-there-add-adhd-child-naturally-with-no-meds-if-so-please-help-138266   Hope it helps a bit until you learn for sure.

sunshine196

Answer by sunshine196 at 2:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• That's not all ADHD. My boys both have ADHD, and while some of what you describe is what they do, there's plenty that is not: keeping paper from crayons, the whole thing with food do not sound like ADHD at all.

You definitely need an evaluation, because it sounds like there is more going on than just ADHD. In the meantime, you need to have a solid routine that you stick with, and discipline her, either as you always have, or as you discipline your other kids.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 2:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2013