How cool is this?

daughterofchaos:  Mourning Jewelry (via) (Note: Mourning jewelry was made from the hair of a deceased loved one and reached a peak of popularity during the American Civil War and during Victorian times in England. It was often inscribed with “In Memory of” and included initials of the deceased.   Soldiers going off to war would often leave a lock of their hair with loved ones in the event of their death.   Hair broaches and rings were considered gifts of love and hair was a symbol of life. Hair was woven into pictures as shown here or in a simple twist. — Shades and Shadows.)

Mourning Jewelry (via)

(Note: Mourning jewelry was made from the hair of a deceased loved one and reached a peak of popularity during the American Civil War and during Victorian times in England. It was often inscribed with “In Memory of” and included initials of the deceased.

Soldiers going off to war would often leave a lock of their hair with loved ones in the event of their death. 

Hair broaches and rings were considered gifts of love and hair was a symbol of life. Hair was woven into pictures as shown here or in a simple twist. — Shades and Shadows.)

charlotsomtimes

Asked by charlotsomtimes at 2:09 PM on Jan. 11, 2013 in Just for Fun

• I love these. I had a small collection at one time.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 5:14 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Honestly, it's creepy to me.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:10 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• I'm sorry, those look creepy to me. I couldn't wear anything with my parents hair in it....
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:11 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Its creepy.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 2:12 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• I don't think it's creepy. It's the same thing as bracelets and necklaces with a loved ones ashes in them. I just don't find them pretty enough to wear. But the idea behind the. Are cool.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 2:18 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• those are cool! i have one that i got from my great grandmother years ago, but its a not a design like those. i dont wear it cause i have no idea who the hair belongs too, i just like the history of it.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:34 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Beautiful! I love it. I want to make something but it will turn out scrappy like everything else I make.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:48 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• I think they're neat looking. I most likely wouldn't wear one but then the only jewelry that I wear is a watch and wedding ring.

Can you imagine the time it took to do the first one?
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:27 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• it's one of those things I'd keep in a safe place.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 3:40 PM on Jan. 11, 2013

• Yeah- I wouldn't actually wear one, but the idea and the time it would take to create them is really cool
    charlotsomtimes

Comment by charlotsomtimes (original poster) at 2:37 PM on Jan. 11, 2013